SATA/IDE Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

donprestoni

Beta member
Ok, this may sound like (and probably is) a stupid question but could use a quick pointer here.

Just upgraded my PC for the first time in about 3 years, so now instead of IDE interface slot it now has SATA.

I would like to know how much of my old hardware is salvageable, specifically my CD-RW and DVD-RW drives, and whethre they can conect to SATA.

If not, could anyone tell me where is still selling PCI cards with IDE slots on them.

cheers

As a side note the motherboard I have decided to get is the Asus K8VSE Deluxe - Via K8T800 one, if anyone knows whether or not this comes with a couple of IDE slots, this would also solve the issue.

Are you sure that your motherboard doesn't have IDE as well as SATA? Most have.
SATA DVD/CD units are very few (if any). If not, I am sure you can get an IDE/SATA convertor plug. Most places sell the PCI IDE cards that you talk about.
What motherboard is it?

The Asus K8VSE Deluxe has:
2 x ATA133
2 x SATA, RAID0, RAID1 Promise R20378 RAID controller
1 x UltraDMA133 supports two hard drives
2xSerial ATA RAID0, RAID1, RAID 0+1

The board is the K8VSE deluxe. I wasn't sure what was on the board, as the site I used only gave some of the high end spec, and the link to the full spec was broken at the time.

Am I right in assuming that the ATA133 is just another name for IDE? If so that pretty well answers all my qns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom