Routers, Internet and Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

majistic

Daemon Poster
Usually this is my area right here, but I have no idea. Ok lets start out fresh here. My internet works fine, no disconnects, nothing. I decide to go out and buy a router. Hook it all up, get online no problems, I would say every now and again perhaps 16-24 hours I get disconnected, then re-connected to the internet, auto reconnect. Last night I left everything on as usual and I could not connect to the internet behind my router. So now I am directly connected from Modem to Network card. Any Ideas ? I might just play around with it later.

DSL or Cable. What kind of router? Need more info! If is a D-link your are in pretty god shape. If it is a linksys.....ick! I can help you with DSL but cable.....no help.

Well, it's a matter of opinion...I have I had nothing but probs with linksys and D-link has been very good for me(although I use neither now). Why are you using a router if you can direct cable link up with jst your modem? More than one computer on line? The linksys website has an autosetup protocol. Try that. I went to a 2wre wireless system for dsl and it has been a dream come true. No more friggen linksys firmware protocol issues. It simply uses hex code protocol in Network properties for XP and you never have to deal with it again. You can buy a 2wire router/wireless adapter (2wire 1000) for about $25 bucks on Ebay. Then you can hook up to 10 puters wireless without a hitch using psi or usb wireless nics!

Well, I often have friends come over and they bring their computers over. Also for the hardware firewall, also for the future when I build my new computer. This way I will have it.

ok...you don't need a firewall in your router if you are running sp2 in xp...firewall is there. But linksys will do it. Try running the autosetup protocall on www.linksys.com. I'd still investigate the 2wire idea and then you won't have to use a hub if you have more than 3 other people doing the lan thang! the hub would ne necessary if you are planning on hard wiring everybody which is, for gaming, the best choice. Wireless and gaming sucks! I'm hard wired to my 2wire for that reason!

RicoDirenzo said:
ok...you don't need a firewall in your router if you are running sp2 in xp...firewall is there. But linksys will do it. Try running the autosetup protocall on www.linksys.com. I'd still investigate the 2wire idea and then you won't have to use a hub if you have more than 3 other people doing the lan thang! the hub would ne necessary if you are planning on hard wiring everybody which is, for gaming, the best choice. Wireless and gaming sucks! I'm hard wired to my 2wire for that reason!

XP firewall is the biggest peice of crap ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom