replacing a power supply - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
haven't had too much trouble so far, about to try to fire it up and make sure my new power supply is working, then work on installing my video card next.

Two concerns though. The power supply I bought is a 20 pin connector to connect to the motherboard.

My motherboard takes a 24 pin connector. So I have 4 spaces empty. I've heard thats usually OK. Is that right?

Also, I'm about to test it like I said. I've heard I should try and tie up remaining wire to keep it neat and maintain good airflow.

What should I use to tie up all these cables?

Thx,

Macdawg

I have one 4 pin connector in my hard drive, one in each optical drive, and 2 in the motherboard. Am I missing anything? I have a lot of left over cable.

You really dont need a 24pin PSU. 20 is good enough unless you run into unforseen problems. If you do just buy an adapter.

Uzi quit suggesting that crap. If the mobo calls for a 24pin PSU, then just use a 24pin PSU or adapter. I know you'll say 'mine works fine' but they do that to even out loads. They wouldn't make it require 24 pin if the 20 pin would be fine in every single situation.

Mac, spend $2 and just get an adapter man. That rules out any possibilities of problems arising.

Thanks guys.

I'm going to try to fire it up and see if it works though, I really want to get my video card installed tonight and have a round of far cry.

Can I just use a rubber band to tie up excess wire?

Nubius said:
Uzi quit suggesting that crap. If the mobo calls for a 24pin PSU, then just use a 24pin PSU or adapter. I know you'll say 'mine works fine' but they do that to even out loads. They wouldn't make it require 24 pin if the 20 pin would be fine in every single situation.

Mac, spend $2 and just get an adapter man. That rules out any possibilities of problems arising.

WTF, YOU should not talk if you do not know what you are talking about. And they don't "require" it. I have seen 4 different LGA775 setups that have 24pin mobos. And only 20 pin PSU. They all run fine. So I would not lose sleep over getting an adapter.

And also sometimes an adapter will do more harm than good. Because the adapter has to split some rails on your PSU, and if the PSU is crap, the computer will be unstable.

I'm on the desktop now so everythings copasetic, but I'm going to buy the adapter anyway for the future.

When I turned my system on it said that intel recommends a 2 X 12 or a 2 X 10 with an additional 1 X 4 adapter, so I'll just buy an extra 1 X 4 in case I need it.

But I started tonight with the mission of getting this power supply and video card on the computer to have a round of far cry on the 6600gt so I can begin my operation to blow people up.

I appreciate everyone of your posts, even the one that says my new power supply sucks!

There are a lot of different opinions in this forum. Everyone thinks their's is right. Don't worry about it. If it works for you, great. If it fails, buy a new one and learn a lesson. That's what I think.

As for all of the wires, if you really wanna make the inside of your case nice, buy some of these (Cable Sleeving). They are easy to install and look great. Also, they increase airflow!
http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=288

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom