Removing slave drive - pc won't boot now

Status
Not open for further replies.

bthomas

Beta member
Hi,
I'm trying to remove the Western Digital slave to use as an external drive. There is no system or os information on it, it was used for personal storage and it has been formatted to erase all of that. The pc works with the slave installed - when I unplug it from the cable and power supply, and restart, the pc won't boot. I checked the jumpers, and tried plugging in the (terminal) end of the daisy chained cable (where the slave was plugged in).
*Take special note of this statement: I tried booting from floppy disk - one time I got statement that it was trying to read drive D which would have been the removed slave drive and should have become the cd-rom (automatically??).
Is there a way to remove the slave drive from the system before physically removing it? Do I need to do something in BIOS, CMOS, etc.? When the slave was removed, the pc still showed total memory of both drives and it was listed on the IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION during startup before asking for boot disk.

Thanks.

You should check that your computer is booting from the right drive. Press DEL to enter BIOS settings and look for the boot devices settings.

I would go into setup and make the changes. You might try just popping out the battery for a few minutes to clear the CMOS. If your drive is jumpered as master I would think it wouldn't be a problem. Although some PC's don't like the master setting without a slave installed as well. Have you tried the cable select setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom