Recognising a full hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof. Plum

Solid State Member
I've read that Win XP does'nt recognise a drive greater than 127 or 137Gb. I have a 160Gb Serial ATA hard disk, windows XP Pro only recognises 127Gb, I've installed the big drive enabler.exe file but it still does not recognise it. Do I have to install the SATA driver? If so how should the installation process go and is there an order in which I should install the driver's?
Do I need to change the Bios setting? If so what in detail should I change?
NB:- Also have a problem with the graphics (something to do with conflict with the VGA save), but I'll leave that till next time:)

My system is:-
ABIT IC7 MAX3 motherboard
Maxtor 160GB Hard disk
Sony DVD re-writer
FX5950 ultra graphics card
1Gb RAM
480W PSU

I wasnÂ’t aware there was a problem with recognition of large HDÂ’s, mine was recognised without any problems. I know windows 95, or 98 had problems, but am sure it was fixed for win 2000 and XP.

Go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management, and see what it says about your drive in there.

No there's no such problem in XP .. It recognises large drives without a problem ..
Also in the bios .. what's the current setting ur Sata drive is set to ??
What size is it detected as during the POST

In the Bios, intially my SATA drive I set to enhanced, but this didn't detect the full 160Gb (it only detected 137Gb). Then I changed this to AUTO and then it detected it as 160Gb.
Then I installed WinXP PRO, when I checked the C:\ Drive it said it was only 127Gb. Put SP1 on and Downloaded the 'big drive enabler' but still didn't work.

I've connected the SATA connector to the SATA1 connector on the motherboard, Do I need to set anything else on the Bios?

Getting frustrated :)

Here a link from Maxtor, sorry its a bit long!

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...W55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

I was going thru ' ur mobo's details .. i understand that it has 4+2 sata connectors ..

Have tried using it on the other sata connectors ..or even as a raid option ..

That's right.
I haven't tried the other Sata connections yet, will try. Will get back when I've done it
Can I use a Raid option when I only use one hard disk? (don't know much, its my first build)

Yes u can use the raid option .. but i would suggest .. u don't .. since things could a little more complex with raid

Micro .. I was just going thru' the abit mobo reviews .. this is what i turned up with

Originally from Pcguide.com Right next to the Southbridge is the two SATA ports that are controlled by the Southbridge
which means you won't require any drivers when install Windows XP and supports RAID
function 0/1.

N' secondly .. with the SP1 .. XP does offer some amount of support to SATA drive ..

I do agree with Micro on the drive causing performance degradation if not partioned.

Just get Partion Magic. It will fix your problem.Just load it as 120 gig and you can repair it with magic.Avoid Partion Commander like the plauge.Mines in the land fill.Had a hell of a time getting my 160 to work. Had same problem early XP with no SP1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom