Really slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

-AnGuiSh-

In Runtime
Does anyone have any idea what might be causing slow start ups?

I was doing nothing on my computer, Just typing on MSN and everything froze. I wasn't downloading anything except a Boxing fight. But it wasn't even downloaded yet. Then my computer started becoming slow until a point it became non responsive.

I restarted...And it took forever just to get to the Login prompt (Im using Win 2k) And it left itsself at the desktop and nothing loaded. I knew it would eventually load but it would take for ever.

So i got my Windows XP start up disk and decided to reformat and reinstall (at first i thought it was software and since i couldnt get in i really had no choice) from my cd rom...BUT THAT was extremely slow too...It would load everything normally up until it was examining the disk then it would take forever.

But it eventually went threw. So i decided to try to format the first disk which the original Windows was on, But it wouldn't work. It kept saying that it could not be formatted.

So...I decided to load Knoppix (what a lifesaver) And it loads fast...and im typing from it now...Nothings really slow. But its just strange because i can't really determine if its a Hardware problem or Software...I thought it might be a Boot sector virus...Can a boot sector virus also slow down the windows setup?

Cause it obviously has no effect on Linux..*sigh* :mad: ...

Help please

sounds like a overheat to me id leave the computer off for a hour or so then try again if that doesnt help try running a virus scan and a memory test

Well...Actually i suspected that at first, I left it alone for like 30 minutes, And took the side case off, Still no progress.

Btw...I cant get into windows...How am i going to run a virus scan? I do suspect a virus though

And im almost certian that its not the memory cause if it was Knoppix would be running really slow too.

didi said:
too many startup programs~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then explain why the Windows start up is running slow?

I did not install NOTHING. and it all worked fine before.

I hardly have anything in startup besides Norton Antivirus, MSN, and Zone alarm.

Ok...I was able to get on and i got this error messege during startup....I think it might be due to some adware/spyware being detected and uninstalled *sighs*...I don't know if its the cause of the problem though...its the first time i got it

Ps. The colors dont look like that, i saved it as 16 bit

:confused:

I sometimes wonder the IQ of some of the people on these forums. Do you actually read what i say or just say random bullshit? :confused:

I fixed it anyways.

Thanks for the all the help...i guess

"i got spyware on my computer"

Lol.

Lol.

Sorry. :D

Btw...what makes you draw the conclusion that i do?

I'd really like to hear.

over heating problem, definately. and it at least shows that you are on Intel based system, that didtn died at least.

P-3 series use to get froze once over heated, but p-4 and AMD 64's doesnt freeze in start (slows down, and thereafter shuts down)

are you using a p-2's heatsink? or using toothpaste instead of thermal compound?

What? Im using AMD. And actually it was a overheating problem so i decided to throw in this extra fan i found and its fine now.

The only thing i don't understand is why i could of ran Knoppix on it fine but not Windows or anything associated with Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom