In Real Trouble! Please Help Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulus H

Beta member
Dear All,
I needed to change the fan on my Kobian motherboard (P4266a NDSMx). I bought an nice 'silent' fan and heatsink unit and took the old heatsink and fan off.

Upon clipping the new unit in place I've broken the plastic adaptor the heatsink clips secure to.

This is the plastic 'frame' that sits around the processor socket and is screwed to the motherboard.

The processor is a Pentium P4 (478 footprint).

Could anybody please, please put me in the direction of a supplier that can sell me a replacement? Ideally in the UK but I'm willing to go anywhere necessary.
The breakage is on one of the actual clips holes so is not repairable.
Please help.

Many thanks,

Paul

Due to the fact that it maybee hard to aqquire a chip, I would use some thermal epoxy (or w/e it's called) to permently attatch a new heatsink and fan to the motherboard.

Hey, that's not a bad idea.
Would super glue or a 'glue gun' work as well?

(thanks for helping me)

hmm.. as long as u don't "super glue" the contact between the heat sink and the CPU, I would imagine it would be ok. The important thing is to make sure the heat can dissipate to the heatsink.

So, to recap.

Fit the CPU in the socket. Paste the back and put the heatsink in place above it.

>>then glue the heatsink to a 'safe' area of the frame it should have 'clipped' too (obviously as one of the four clip recepticles broke which caused the damn headache).<<<

When dry screw the fan in place.

Turn on machine and smile.

ALSO,
What's the method of removing the cpu from the original heatsink? (sorry to be a pest)

Paul

Just fixed a computer that had the same bracket broke. It cost around 4 dollars. I did not think it would be worth the time or hassle to try to glue it.

it's probabbly best if you do get a new bracket. they don't cost much, and you can take the heatsink off if you need to

there should be plenty of local PC stores around the place, and one is bound to have one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom