ramdac question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryguy2323

In Runtime
is it possible for the programming in the video card's RAMDAC to get corrupted and display colors dimmer/incorrectly?

i know that the ram can fail, but i mean the actual RAMDAC chip's programming, like could it get corrupt so that colors were dimmer or messed up? or would the chip just fail then? and are the analog voltage levels on the color table actually stored in analog form or as a digital number?

ok, but you know how the table stores the mV level for each color? are these mV levels stored and read analogly like on a video tape, or digitally?

ok, take a VHS tape for example, the strength of the signal stored on the tape determines picture brightness, is this how the mV values on the RAMDAC's color table are stored and read? i know that the brightness of the image on the monitor depends on the signal strength recieved but i'm talking about the actual RAMDAC's color tables and whether those mV values are stored analogly or in binary as a number, because if they were stored analogly that would mean that as time went on the mV values stored on the chip would weaken and cause it to produce a dimmer picture.

what I don't know is why they use analogue signals to send data to the Monitor, it's not really faster if it has to convert from digital to analogue

anyway the failiure to convert properly could only be minor, or it could result in the loss of viewing of a particular colour/s, or even the picture being distorted so much you don't know what it's supposed to show.

but the brightness of the image doesnt depend on the strength of the programming in the DAC right? because i know when watching a vhs the brightness of the image on the tv depends on the strength of the "programming" on the tape

so whether the programming in the three DACS were stored at a 1mV strength, or a 700mV strength, it wont affect brightness as long as it can be understood just like the programming strength on an audio CD doesnt affect loudness?

i know that the signal strength recieved by the monitor affects brightness, but does the strength of the programming in the RAMDAC, meaning either the SRAM color table or the three DACS for each color, affect the strength of the signal recieved by the monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom