Ram: Size Or Performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

Solid State Member
I'm planning to buy a new PC. I will use it especially for applications such as Maya, 3ds max, Photoshop, gaming etc etc. Shud I go for peformance or size? Shud I go for a 1GB RAM or a faster 512 MB RAM? I'm totally confused?

SIZE OR PERFORMANCE?

yea im curious to, like...1 GB or PC 2700 ram, or 512 MB or pc 3200 ram...which is better?

**just an example**

first of all... what CPU are you using??? Cause depending on it's FSB u can go lower in speed of ram. EX. a PC2700 with a P4 2.8E is not good!!
And anything over PC3200 is a waste until you're going to overclock.
So, to be safe, get 1G of PC3200 and u'll be good to go! But make sure not to get cheap OEM C3 RAM. Atleast get some Crucial.

512 Mb of high performance RAM is much better than 1024 Mb of decent generic RAM.

Mission said:
yea im curious to, like...1 GB or PC 2700 ram, or 512 MB or pc 3200 ram...which is better?

**just an example**

In your example, using 1 GB of PC2700 RAM would yield far better results.

theres more to it than just 2700 vs 3200 youve also got cas latencys and the fact that a lot of cheaper rams will cause you to get more errors. whats the use of getting a gig of crappy memory thats gonna cause you to keep rebooting. buy 512mb of a better brand and just get another 512 later. youll be much happier with the end results.

Watch out about the CAS latencies... On newer RAM, the latencies are somewhat higher, but the RAM is clocked so high, that it is impossible to compare those latencies with others.

Yes yes and yes to all the responses about CAS latencies and so on and so forth...

1) Seven, the first and foremost should be quality of the RAM. Nothing else is more paramount than the quality of the RAM you're using.

2) Then comes the speed of the RAM and as you can see, there's several elements that comprise the overall speed of the RAM - not just PC100/133/ etc...

3) Lastly it should be the amount of RAM.

Some might disagree with the order of #2 & #3... but item #1 should be a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom