question on dvd burners....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

In Runtime
Ok I was going to by the liteon 12x dvd burner with a cdrom speed of 48x, but then I heard about the dual layer where you can copy more of a dvd on one disc. Is it worth it to get this? For dual layer the 8x is $100 and the 12x one single layer was $80, but the dual layer seems more appealing. So my question is... is 8x going to be fast enough and will the 40x cdrom speed be good for games such as doom 3? thanks!

Question is do you need dual layer –

I heard about the dual layer where you can copy more of a DVD on one disc

Dual layer only burns more info on Dual Layer discs (DVD-9). At the moment Dual Layer discs will cost you around $10 each. These discs hold 8.5 Gb of data.

I would imagine that these discs will be used mainly by the punters who copy / counterfeit movies. (which is ILLEGAL and not endorsed) The usual action packed movie on a DVD is about 7 gb in size, and therefore to big (unless itÂ’s cut or compressed) to fit on the blank DVDÂ’s that is on the go at the moment (DVD-5)

So do you need a discs that will hold 8.5 Gb of data, or will 4.7 Gb do ?

I bought one of these when they first came out, & have never had a problem with it.

Copper.

As for Doom 3 you may check the game's requirements for such information.I think you won't have a problem with this speed

I use the Plextor 8x Dvd-rw and I am more than happy with the speed. As for the dual layer stuff, me personaly i wouldn't waste my money quite yet.

Not worth it and why are ppl buying 12x and so on? DVDR is designed to burn at 4x...? I can still burn most if not all movie jus find and quality is pretty good.. Does any remember VHS days?lol:D

Senseis said:
Not worth it and why are ppl buying 12x and so on? DVDR is designed to burn at 4x...?
what are you talking about? dvd+r media is at 8x, and verbatim and maxell have already created 16x media that will be out very soon

hahaha! well, the new speeds have just appeared recently . . .

i remember i was so surprised by 12x, and then just a few weeks later, i saw 16x

you do not need the extra speed that a 12x burner gives. think about this, 4x takes 15 minutes to burn a full DVD, 8x takes 7 or 8 minutes. do you really need a movie burned that fast? using a dual layer burner you can copy a 8GB DVD movie with zero quality loss. I got myself a NEC 2510A recently that does 2.4x dual layer burning. you should undestand that the prices are coming down. a blank dual layer disc won't stay at $10 forever ya know. it's NEW technology, you have to wait for it to hit mainstream consumers. I remember cd burners used to cost a lot and DVD burners used to cost $4000.

full dvd? i thought dvds were 120 minutes and 4x takes a half hour

plus, a little extra speed isnt all that bad . . .

12x would be 10 minutes . . . and 16x would be 7.5 minutes . . .

what i'm saying is that now, you're saying it's not needed speed . . . but next year, you'll probably be retracting that statement

cause now, since regular dvds hold almost 7x the amount of cds (size wise), people will be using dvds more, and 12x and 16x will be needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom