A question about AMD Athlon 64 X2

Status
Not open for further replies.

freak67

Baseband Member
Hello I have been looking throught Processors lately and the X2 has caught my eye a few times and i am not sure if i should get it , and before if i would get it i want to no if the Amd Athlone 64 X2 will be compadible with the original 939 Socket motherboards or are there other motherboards made specifically for the AMD Athlon 64 X2?

AMD dual cores. It might work on some, since they are going to be the same socket. All you will need is a BIOS update.

All you should need to prepare your s939 mobo is a BIOS update.

Ace, you're kidding right?

they are gonna be very nice but games are not optimised for them yet so it doesnt give that much of a performance gain over a single core. If i wanna gonna buy one i would only get the 4400, becuase it has the 1mb cache like the 4800 (the 4200 and 4600 only have 512) but the 4400 is 200mhz slower which is nothing concidering these are venice ( i believe) cores so should overclock nicely well above that 200mhz :D

A dual core 4800+ at 2.4GHZ will peform the EXACT same as a 3800+ single core at 2.4GHZ in games

And these are manchester / toledo cores and not venice cores

yea but i thought each core was in essence a venice or san diego core but put together to make dual cores they renamed to manchester and toledo?

No, not exactly the same. AMD itself admmited that there will be a small (like .5 percent) decrease in performance in single threaded applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom