is this the psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlr

In Runtime
hi im trying to fix a problem on a freinds computer when you plug the comp in and switch it on the comp just sits there idle for 5mins or so before switching on im thinking this could be the psu any other ideas before i purchase a new one please thanks in advance mlr

it very much could be the PSU. with these sorts of problems - it can sometimes be hard to pinpoint the exact cause. Why dont you swap your PSU with his and see if he problem is fixed on his comp and if it happens on your comp. Then you KNOW its the PSU and dont have to worry about dishing out the cash for a new one only to find out that it wasnt the PSU at all... :)

so what, does it turn on after it's done idiling? or does it just sit there. do you get any power at all? how many watts is it and what does he have under the hood?

yes it does switch on normaly after 5 mins and runs perfect the comp is around 5 years old and as had cd writer added but thats about all it has an 150 watt psu which is running a dvd rom cd writer floppy 1 hd and three sticks of ram

I'll bet money that it's not the power supply that's your problem. If the power supply was not giving enough power your computer would not turn on at all or behave very erratic. I'm willing to bet it's either a simple setting in the BIOS you need to change or your motherboard has some hardware issues that can't be fixed other than replacing the mobo or just live with the problem.

sithspawn said:
it very much could be the PSU. with these sorts of problems - it can sometimes be hard to pinpoint the exact cause. Why dont you swap your PSU with his and see if he problem is fixed on his comp and if it happens on your comp. Then you KNOW its the PSU and dont have to worry about dishing out the cash for a new one only to find out that it wasnt the PSU at all... :)

:D

i realy dont think it is the psu as i removed dvd rom cd writer and modem etc but it was still the same i cant tryu my psu in the comp as mine wont fit so its just gona have to stay like it is for the time being:) thanks for all your sugestions tho

mlr said:
i realy dont think it is the psu as i removed dvd rom cd writer and modem etc but it was still the same i cant tryu my psu in the comp as mine wont fit so its just gona have to stay like it is for the time being:) thanks for all your sugestions tho

ahhah mate, sorry to tell ya but i really think its the psu thats doing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom