Problems Powering Up w On/Off Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengance

In Runtime
Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Just recently my computer doesn't turn on. The on/off switch initiates no POST or BOOT, however, an internal Mainboard light is on, indicating power coming to the board.

I've figured out that if I turn off the power supply unit's power in the back of the tower, wait a few seconds and turn it back on, the on/off switch works just fine.

My theories:

• An overheating wire/connection to the on/off switch
  • A Dysfunctional PSU
  • A Bad Motherboard connection

Any ideas please post!

It's a new Mainboard, about 6 mos. old. Here are my relevant specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
512 MB Ram
80 GB HDD
ABIT NF7-S2, NVIDIA nForce2 chipset, 400FSB
350 Watt PS
DVD+/-RW
CD-R/RW
Nvidia GeForce 4 MMX 64 MB
Hauppauge WinTV 150*

*The capture card is the only recent hardware & software change I've made recently.

I think that you need stronger psu than 350 watt try getting something higher like 500 watt. For now try removing non-essential parts and than try booting up.

ahh... dont listen to the guy who said you need a 500watt psu.
EDIT: if you have a AMD 64, 2Gigs of RAM, a 6800GT, and 2 HDDs... i beleive you can run that with a quality 450watt psu... so 350watts should be more then enought for the system that your running.

open your case, disconnect the Power Switch from the motherboard. and use a screw driver to jumper the 2 pins for power on the mobo to manually turn it on... dont leave the screw driver on the pins, just touch them together momentairly... that will tell you if its just a problem with the power button on the case or not.

if it doesnt turn on, disconnect the power supply from everything except the fans. and on the ATX connector you can jumper 2 pins together to manually turn on the PSU when its not connected to anything. the link bellow shows you witch pins. If it turns on manually, then its probably you motherboard witch has the problem, not the other parts.

http://www.rosewill.com/faq/view.aspx?FaqId=53

EDIT: The psu in the link is proabably not the PSU that you have, but all PSU's use the same pins. So the info there applys to all psu's.

Yes that is great jolancer, an image is better than saying touch the green and black togehter, people get nervous when their's over 5 black's

I made an image of it in paint for anyone to use in these situations
atx.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom