Problems with my Mobo or Power supply not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euchrechamp

Beta member
Alright,

Well I have a couple problems but my major one is I can't get back into Windows. My computer basically freezes at the loadign screen with the blue bar on Windows start up. Sometimes it will get a lil further but it never boots up. I have tried reformattign and I even installed a different windows on it but it just won't work if freezes at some point. Sometimes if freezes while installing windows. Sometimes while it is loading something.

My computer also won't recognize two hard drives at once. It only recognizes one at a time and it doesn't even recognize one of em as an 80 GB but as a 32GB.

I am so frustratting I'd appriciate any help

Thanx,
Scott

you might have A virus the has attack your boot sector. blaster did something like that

you will have to use PM to delete that hard drive and also format, then delete that 7.8 mb boot sector so the virus could be removed

EricB said:
you might have A virus the has attack your boot sector. blaster did something like that

you will have to use PM to delete that hard drive and also format, then delete that 7.8 mb boot sector so the virus could be removed

hey, the same thing happened to me on thanksgiving night, i restarted the comp and couldn't load to the sign-in screen.

couldn't even get into safe mode, kept rebooting..over, and over again.

so i bit the bullet, and put in my recovery disc, reformated the C:, which seemed to work, but i had games saved on a completely different HDD, and it erased them...ALL!

strange.

now i installed SP2 and updated all drivers. and it seems to be running stable now..but you raised a good point about deleting the boot sector... how do you do that?

i'm wondering if i still have some viruses on my system after that happened? my virus scan (PC-cillin) says i'm clear...

should i still be worried?

thanks.

Take it down to bare minimum. You want to go as low as what will work. Strip it of it's cd-rw/dvd/floppy. Take out all but ONE stick of memory. If you have on board sound and a sound card, take the sound card out and use the on board sound. When you have it down to literally bare bones, see if it will work and then start adding back ONE item at a time. When you get to the point where something *craps* it out, you've found the culprit. You might also what to check the power supply. Make sure you use a generic mouse and keyboard, not a wireless or optical.

Take notes every step of the way and post back your results. Liz

TheMajor said:
yes, you got SP2.. there's a huge list with incompatible programs. :D

hi, not sure if this answer was directed towards me, but i'll answer anyways....

my desktop was fine up until the crash, or rather, un-bootable system, however i did NOT have SP2 installed on that puter prior, so i figured i got the virus because i didn't have it installed.

so like i said earlier, i installed SP2 this time, and so far things seem to run fine, for now..just keeping my fingers crossed.

if i don't install SP2, i lose....if i do install it....i lose.

so i guess...i'm just a big loser.

Mac's are starting to look good to me.

ugh.

EdoKoi said:
now i installed SP2 and updated all drivers. and it seems to be running stable now..but you raised a good point about deleting the boot sector... how do you do that?

In Pm8 you will see your partitions, then you will see a 7.8mb portion that say unallocated. that is your boot sector

sometime (not often though) people make a virus (blaster was one) that can attack that part of the system. microsoft also will use that part to lock your computer, if they find you have one those bootlegg corperate version of xp (in the US only , though) Euchrechamp's syptom sound like one of these

before I delete my partition. I click on the boot sector, and select format (NTFS), after that then I delete it, then I delete my partition(s) and create new one(s) and leave that 7.8mb part unallocated.

when you get that computer lock from microsoft, I find this is the only way to fix that computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom