Problem with DVD drive audio quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KStrike155

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, new here.

I have a question that I have Google'd and I can't find an answer to.

I had an old Dell Dimension 8100 back from 1999-2000. It came with a Samsung SD-616 DVD Drive. Ever since day 1, when I would rip MP3s with it, I would get a clicking sound in the background.

I was forced to use the LG CED-8120B CD-RW drive that was in the second bay to rip my MP3s.

I just built a new computer (in signature) and decided to just keep my old drives (no sense in buying new ones, right?).

Now my CD-RW drive sometimes reads CDs and sometimes doesn't (really weird... another problem I have to figure out). I wish I could just use my DVD Drive. Does anybody have any ideas as to why it is making this clicking noise? It still has the clicking even if I use error correction, and will also click playing them back (not even ripping them...).

Thanks guys.

-Brian

KStrike155,

No idea about the clicking sounds.. but if you haven't enabled DMA for the drive, enable it from device manager .

Well guys I solved the problem (after an assortment of others...)

I updated the firmware to version F006 and the clicking has gone away! Also, this firmware version allows DVD+R to be read, along with whatever updates were before this one (yay!)

So I decided to use a Windows utility to flash my firmware, considering I have no floppy drive. That didn't work out too well...

I ended up ruining the firmware of my DVD drive! Windows would recognize it as a "Ûºïûÿ»ÿûþÿïï·ÿ?Ý÷ÿwÍ¿oû(3)" drive.

Not good, not good at all. I then tried flashing through DOS (after finding a 3.5" floppy drive). I used Samsungs utility (sfdndos) and it was saying that I didn't have the right drive to be flashed! OH CRAP I thought... I searched and searched and finally found that if you add "-n" to then end of your flash command, it will not check for the correct drive.

Now my drive works great, AND I have updated firmware.

Thanks for the suggestion!

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom