'Primary VGA BIOS'

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomUK

Daemon Poster
In my BIOS (see below for MoBo), by default the primary VGA BIOS is set to PCI VGA Adapter. Does this seem right to you? Should it be set to AGP?

Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to say, what is this exactly?

That function is basically asking you if your card is PCI or AGP...so you need to put it on AGP so you can get the full functionality of your card, because if you've left it at PCI it's working in PCI-mode opposed to AGP 8x

Whoa... That makes elementary sense... it's something that I've overlooked... which might explain one or two things... I can't believe I've been that stupid :confused: Thanks Nubius :)

OK, if my 6800 GT is (or rather has been) running, essentially, in PCI mode, than why haven't I been getting terrible framerates in games? Why does 3DMark and so on tell me that that my card is running in AGP 8x? Surely my benchmarks (below) shouldn't be that high if this was the case...

Yeah I know I was kind of thinking the same things as I was typing it to you. Maybe the card is so powerful it still works good in PCI mode? Don't know....the benchmarks could just assume you're running in AGP 8x based off what card you have rather than actually detecting it ya know, but yeah usually if it's in PCI-Mode you get an insane decrease in performance....still though, change it to AGP and see what kind of difference it makes though. If you've been happy with your current results then if it really does switch it from PCI to AGP then you should REALLY notice a difference.

You can always right click on the desktop, go to Properties, click the Settings tab, click ADVANCED, then click the Tab that has your Graphics card name on it and it'll tell you if it's running in AGP 8x or PCI.....

Also if it is indeed running in AGP 8x even though it says PCI VGA it could mean that it's referring simply to the BIOS...meaning...what device would you like to use for displaying the BIOS? In which it wouldn't really matter whether it's set to PCI or VGA because the BIOS isn't a graphically taxing GUI :D

But what I think it means is the actual BIOS of your card...the Primary VGA (which is your card)'s BIOS....ya see what I'm saying? So you're setting the card BIOS to PCI or AGP...bah...lol now I'm confusing myself thinking of what else it could be...

Either way I say you put it to AGP because thats what your card is and see if you notice any differences

I must stress, this card has always been running in AGP 8x, or so my OS, games and benchmarking utilities have told me...

Anyway, I've switched it to AGP VGA. No difference in a Doom 3 timedemo, but I'll run Aquamark or something to see if if does make a difference...

Hmmm...interesting...then perhaps it is like I said and that it's just talking about how to display the BIOS? I know for sure there is an option though where you have to specify whether you are AGP or PCI, but I suppose if it's in the AGP slot it defaults to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom