Prescott vs. Northwood - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
OK, I know this has been around the board many-a-time, but if you have time please read through.

This will not be a gaming machine. It will be used for graphic design and website development - mostly Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamwaver. I have read that the longer pipeline of the prescott works great if the processor "predicts" correctly (rendering, audio/video, etc), but if it guesses wrong, it's a longer flush out.

See, I really don't understand the "predicting" thing. Does anyone know if Illustrator, Photoshop and Dreamweaver are predictable programs, or will the longer pipeline hurt in my case? I know the prescott is really going to gain the edge at 4 ghz or so, but the specs now are pretty impressive.

For the AMD fans... I have extensively considered the 64 3000+, but really don't see the need until the apps and standard OS is 64-bit. I'm planning to keep the upcoming P4 build for about 2 yrs, then go 64 bit.

So for now... Prescott or Northwood for graphic design?

Sorry to be so wordy. I'm hoping to get more than just a "Northwood (or Prescott) is better" response, rather something a little tailored to my needs. For the record, the system so far is:
- 1 GB Kingston Value-Ram
- Antec Performance Plus w/ 430w PSU
- Sapphire Radeon 9000 Pro (I know...)

Thanks in advance guys!

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom