Ppu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwert

In Runtime
Any simplified info on the PPU? I read what they had on the site and understood very little of what was said there. From what I understand it's going to be a new part of a computer, kind of like a GPU was back in the late 80s early 90s. Also, how long do you expect before it's in PCs?

Also, I posted this in a different forum, I wasn't sure if it belonged here or there so I posted it at both places.

PPU is this new physics processing unit I'm hearing about correct?

From what I understand, it's gonna be this next big boom in games, since we have all these engines which are focusing more and more on physics, games are gonna become so freaking realistic when this thing comes out.

Plus it takes the load off the CPU and GPU so they can focus more on their tasks.

What is/are physics, it's really the first time I've heard of it being used in computer terms...?

Its the same thing as it is in real life. Physics tell how ojects in a game should operate, just like physics dictates how things work in reality.

Pretty much, makes games more realistic.

Physics is the science of matter and energy and their interactions. (thanks google :))

Basically, the Source Engine, as far as I'm aware, was the big breakthrough with physics being shown in games, Basically, if you haven't figured it out. the PPU will basically handle all the physics processes in games. How fast something moves, gravity, friction, mass, all that fun stuff that makes gameplay realistic will be handled by the PPU.

This basically means the CPU and GPU don't have to focus on these processes anymore, which means we get better physics out of games, as well as better graphic quality and so on and so forth.

If anyone is out of the loop and is scratching their head at this point, check this out.

No. Having a piece of hardware that does a certian task is always better then dumping all the tasks on one component. And besides, when better software is developed, the benifits vastly improve.

Not very long. I'm just wondering if they'll fit it on the video card, motherboard, or directly on the CPU.

My bets on the video card... but who knows how that will end up.

Well what would be realy good is if its on the motherboard, and you can upgrade the PPU like the CPU when a better one comes out. good idea aint it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom