Power Supply Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorsini

Beta member
Ok - so I bought an emachine computer a year and a half ago and the other day the thing simply won't power up. We had been gone for a few days and the computer was fine when we left but totally dead when we got back.

I confirmed that it wasn't the outlet, the cord or anything else. The computer had zero power. (no lights, no beeps, no nothing)

So I bought a replacement power supply off of ebay. The power supply was not the exact same one as the original but the seller swears up and down that it's compatible. I installed the new power supply and here's what happens ...

As soon as the computer is plugged in the lights on the front of the machine turn on and the internal fan starts running. However, the on/off switch has no effect on anything. The front light stays on and the internal fan just keep running - but the computer cannot be powered down or booted up.

Any ideas as to whether it could be the power supply is not working properly or whether I should be replacing another component as well?

check to see that the the tiny cords coming from the front of your case (mainly the one from the switch) are plugged into the right spot for your motherboard

Thanks for the post. What's wierd is the computer was working just fine before. I haven't moved or changed any wires. The only thing I did was replace the power supply and all the corresponding connections.

the motherboard power plugs are both in right? there should be a huge 20 or 24 pin one and a smaller square 4 pin

wow... well like the post above says check the huge one to the motherboard, sometimes for the wierdest reasons things like that come loose when you least expect it, but as you said you confirmed their connection... only thing i can think of other than cables is something is fried, possibly killed both the old power supply and something on your motherboard (hence why the old supply didn't work at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom