power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgray

In Runtime
is it true you need a 350 watt power supply to use a geforce6600 gt video card. so if you don't have that much you have to replace your power supply also?

i would get at least a 400w PSU for any next gen card just to make sure, they are power hogs. and yes, if you do not have the reccomended PSU, you should upgrade or else you'll have constant reboots. i don't know exactly what the 6600GT needs, but i know it's more than a lot of people are used to having.

i'm getting the geforce6600gt video card. now i realize i don't have enough wattage in my power supply. is there much difference in the various power supply units? this is turning into a never ending quest. i started out just getting more ram. also whats the deal about plugging an extra cable into the video card?

I have a 330watt psu, with a 6800, and I would not recomend anyone to go that close to its limit, as soon as i can afford it, i am going to buy a new psu, probally a antec 480watt true power psu.

Also not everything in your pc uses up its full wattage, e.g. a hard drive is meant to use 25 watts, but it will never use all of that.

rgray said:
i'm getting the geforce6600gt video card. now i realize i don't have enough wattage in my power supply. is there much difference in the various power supply units? this is turning into a never ending quest. i started out just getting more ram. also whats the deal about plugging an extra cable into the video card?

PSU's vary greatly, you want the most amps per rail or volts, sheesh, i don't know that much aout PSUs, sorry. but i do know that on dual connector video cards, they need the extra connector because a single molex power connector just cannot serve up enough power.

i also know that Antec are the shizzle, so check out some Antec PSU's from newegg.com and try not to spend under 70 bucks, because it's true when they say you get what you pay for.

Yeah, you'll want to watch out when buying a PSU for a number of reasons.

A lot of power supplies will label themselves as 400 watt, but this is really their peak output, meaning they may only put out a steady 350 watts of power and may peak for short periods at 400 watts. You'll want a power supply that will put out it's rating all the time, and won't fluctuate below it.

Next thing is the amps on your rails. You'll want at least 18 amps on the 12v rail. Basically the more amps each rail has, the more power it's gonna put out faster.

And finally, you will want a PSU that will not fluctuate it's rails, you don't want your 12v rail going from 11.5 to 12.5, it needs to stay steady and it needs to stay not very far below 12v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom