power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanster

Baseband Member
hi

I need to know if a 500 watt power supply will run the following things. I added up all I could but alot of items had no wattage description leaving me in the blue. The case I am buying will support two power supplies so I could use 2 if one is not enough.

The major components i need to power are:

AMD FX-55 processor (when I can get one)

6800 ultra Graphics Card

Coolermaster Aquagate water cooling unit

Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 mother board

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro TwinX CAS2 RAM

2 Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB SATA Hard drives

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 Sound Card

Sony DWU-22D 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter

There will also be 8 Case fans, 4 cold cathodes, 2 fan controllers, 8 LED's and a few other small items.

So will a 500 watt power supply power this computer or not? by the way here is a link to the power supply

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_57&products_id=161

Many thanks, Carl

1. You should look into getting the eVGA 6800GT as you can overclock it to and past ultra speeds without having to worry about it being as power hungry as the Ultra.

2. I've read a lot of reports of Cold Cathode tubes exploding in peoples computers and even a few reports of fires being caused due to them exploding so just something to think about. I assume since you're adding all those LED's you already know your electronics and how you gotta calculate the resistance so you don't blue a LED out.

3. 500w isn't enough info to tell you whether or not it can power that system. You need to post the Rails meaning what it says the amperage rating per +3.3, +5 and the +12v rail. The Thermaltake 560w PSU has a +12v rail of 22a and would suit your needs. You want to make sure you have a real strong +12v rail with that system because it will be +12v power hungry with that processor, HD's , fans especially, etc..etc...

The Ultra Modular Connection PSU is 500w and not only does it look cool and you can connect only the cables you need, but it has a +12v rating of 30a so you KNOW you have room on the +12v Rail, it's +3.3 and +5v rails are also more than adequate for your needs.

Also you might want to look into a motherboard such as ABit or MSI unless you're REALLY set on Gigabyte as they don't support they lower latencies I believe and both MSI and ABit have much better BIOS options.

ok thanks, I will look into other motherboards and the graphics card. So I take it that power supply will be able to handle all those components.

Many thanks, Carl

If anyone has anything to add please do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom