power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I read in a book that the power supply retains a jolting, perhaps lethal, amount of power even after it's turned off and unplugged. is that true?

Source
"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Upgrading and Repairing PCs"

When there is power then there is no jolting, just dont touch the tranformer, or else, you might have a bad experience, but its not that hurting...

Yes, Absolutely!

Another thing to always do before working on a PC is press the power button in after it is powered off and unplugged. Try it. You'll see what kind of static electricity your board still has once you've already unplugged the PSU. Imaging if you were to get shocked, with not only, the dangers that exist, but add a little potential static electricity and you'll be a little more careful next time!!!

-Mike

Don't forget to bring a towel!
If get out of the shower or just get finished swimming and start working on your computer, you could really hurt yourself if you don't dry off.

That's why Towelie says.... Don't forget to bring a towel!

Does the PS have a capacitor? I got knocked on my butt one time when I opened up an old camera with a built-in flash. Actually, not once but twice, I didn't know what happened the first time so I did it again. It hurt worse the second time.

mike, you mean to say
i should unplug my pc and then hit the power button to turn it on.
what should i be observing, and where is all this power been stored.
i thougth for electricity to be presnet you need a complete circuit, with the unplugging, there should be none.

if i were to tamper with the power supply, is there any way i could get rid of the power in it. would a static wrsit strap help?

as already been mentioned all electrical circuits contain compacitors, they store charge and discharge slowly (physics law shows that capacitors new actually lose charge, the charge just gets smaller, which theoretically can be infinate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom