Possible to build laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey07

Baseband Member
Is it possible to build laptops? O.O

I'm thinking, where do you get all the parts? And one of my friends says he's built them before or he knows people who built them or something.. And he works at some computer thing in New York (uh it's nothing big o.o) and he's built servers and desktops so he has knowledge of stuff o.o

But...

He told me "go to pricewatch.com then" Because I asked where do you get the parts then? Are there notebook videocards there? Notemook motherboards if they use different ones than desktops (i dunno lol)? I see none, he tells me that's where you go to get notebook parts...

So uhm, is it possible to build laptops so I can tell him once and for all whether it is or isnt? o.o lol

Is it more or less expensive than buying one? :p

EDIT: And do laptops with P4 processors have different motherboards, or can they use a regular motherboard for a desktop?

I wouldn't recommend building your own laptop. It's probably mroe expensive and it seems like it would be hard as hell to do, since you're working in a very confined space. Buying laptop parts by themselves are very expensive unless you buy in extreme bulk a la Dell, HP, Alienware, and other builders. That's why repairing them is often so expensive, because whoever you take it to is only buying a few parts at a time.

Laptops use their own special motherboards. Mobile processor (like the P4) are much smaller than their desktop counterparts and also have different pegs. Also, the expansion slots on laptop mobos are made for special laptop cards. PCI cards slide in upright and could never fit in a laptop case.

Yes, so when I tell my friend that I'm still going to get my Alienware and not build one myself, he can know it's more expensive (I figured that part out a long time ago o_O)

yeah, low profile cards ;) You can get them, but it is a pain to do. There are also special tools needed. Figured you may of already looked into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom