Pentium or Athlon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you should watch Tom's Hardware Guide's video of what happens when the heatsink/fan solution is removed from both Intel and AMD processors... quite surprising.

The Intel CPU's stay still while the Athlons burn up in smoke.

I Don't like the Pentium or Athlon.. Xeon's are made for Multiprocessing and get a dual Xeon Motherboard and you probaly have the best machine around..
IBM made some processor called the Cyrix.. My sis has a 66mhz one and it loads windows, photoshop 5.5, and many more things About 5x as fast as my intel Pentium 2 333MHz.
And it's not over clocked.

GeForce said:
Some of you should watch Tom's Hardware Guide's video of what happens when the heatsink/fan solution is removed from both Intel and AMD processors... quite surprising.

The Intel CPU's stay still while the Athlons burn up in smoke.

Sure.. I've seen the video. (from tom's hardware guide)... In fact, I saw it last month (i think)... so yeah, the AMD does heat up a lot and yes it does NEED extra cooling. But who will be stupid enough to remove the CPU's fan while the PC is running in the first place? If the cooler is properly installed, and securely in place.. and if it is a decently good cooler, there is not much to worry about. So i guess it's kind of a gamble. If your unlucky, you will get a faulty FAN. The reason the anti burning system could not activate in time (in the video) was probably because of the quick change. The heat increased too fast since the FAN was removed really fast. In real life, it will increase a lot more slowly than that since the cooler is there. Unless of course, the cooler fails.. but then again, that is very rare and you have to be really unlucky for something like that to happen. At least with the athlon, you get exactly what you pay for (which is very little). The P4 is simply over priced.

SePhErUm said:
XEON!!! READ MY POST AND REPLY!! THIS TIME!
hehe .. :D

:cool: Never tried building a multiprocessor system. Must try it one of these days when i have a bit more $$$.. hehe! :D

Now ...

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ VS Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz ...
sweatdrop.gif

Best regards from,
pmg4lktan

i defently perfer athalon because it is alot cheaper and as i just learned it runs alot faster.

REason.. Athlons run faster.. They do 9 insctructions per clock cycle.. The p4 does.. 6 instructions per clock cycle.. and the AMD's have a shorter pipeline..

With AMD running mroe instructions per clock cycle than a p4.. but the p4 having more cache.. i say there about 60%-40%.
As in the AMD is 60 and the P4 is 40.. It just makes sense.. The extra cache on the p4 and the More instructions on the AMD.. So many people say extra cache means more.. All cache does it store the instructions while others are being processed.. The Amd doesn't need the extra.. Becuase .. They do more.

This is one of the biggest toss-ups in computers. Both have their pro's and con's but here's my take on it.

AMD's-Yes they may run faster at lower clock speeds, but if they run hotter, wouldn't this mean that AMD is overclocking their chips a bit and then advertising them as lower clock speeds? just my thoughts. In terms of average computer user machine's, I think that the P4 is better because the average user doesn't want to take extreme measures the cool their PC.

P4's-Currently I do run a P4, but I do not think P4's are the best. The one thing I do like about them is that I have had any major performance drops. My P4 has run at or above it's listed clock-speed the entire time I'ved owned it. In terms of bus speeds, the current 2.53 ghz P4's have a 533mhz FSB, and these P4's are being listed as the latest and fastest, so AMD is maybe sloutching a bit on releasing a faster Athlon XP. P4's also run cooler, meaning less worry of system freezes or lockups, or fried chips.

Personally I don't favor either more heavily than the other. I would take a top of the line machine with either processor. I don't believe any of the "runs 50% faster at a lower clockspeed..." or any of that-It's all advertising, and without overclocking there is no physical way a processor can run faster than it's internal clockspeed. I will stick with judging by the clock speed, as nowadays any processor over 1.3 ghz is about the same AKA you don't notice a big difference.

Just my thoughts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom