PCIe 16x or 8x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_source

Daemon Poster
So i was looking at my settings for my 6600GT, and what i mean is that i would right click on the desktop and go into properties and then into the settings tab and into my video card settings. On the page which shows all the info on my card it says that my 6600GT is PCIe and 8x...wtf is that all about? Is it not running at the right speed? I only have one card in there and SLI is not activated, so the single slot should be running at 16x not 8x.
In everest it says that my memory bandwith for my card is 16023, which is the correct speed, but the nvidia software tells me its 8x. When i run 3dMark03/05 and click on details it tells me that the card is sitting in slot pcie16_2, when the ASUS mobo says it should be sitting in PCIe16_1, but i looked insiode the box and it is sitting in the correct spot.
What the h3ll is going on man.

pcie is for the future but now itz agp i guess pcie just has double the power so if u had a x800 pro 8x agp that wud count as one but if u had 16x x800 pro then that wud count as 2 x800's as one

pcie is for the future but now itz agp i guess pcie just has double the power so if u had a x800 pro 8x agp that wud count as one but if u had 16x x800 pro then that wud count as 2 x800's as one
This is wrong, a video card running on PCI-E interface is not double the speed and performance of it's equilevent AGP interface. They should both perform about the same.

As for the original question, there should a slider availible somewhere in either your display settings, or in your nVidia control panel which allows you to adjust the PCI-E bandwidth.

PCI-E is the serial version of PCI
PCI-E 1x slots has one line going to and from the card
PCI-E 16x has 16 lines going to and from the card

PCI-E 16x is faster than AGP, but not exactly twice (PCI-E's speed is a different measurement to AGP), it is 16 times the speed of PCI-E 1X

I wouldn't worry about the speed being at 8x, since cards today can't even take advantage of AGP 8X

SLI would often make both cards run at 8X since some motherboards have 16 lines, but the 2 video cards have to share them.
even a dual 6800 Ultra setup would not use up all the bandwidth of the 16 lines

Ok, there was a clip that the pc guy who put my box together myust have put in backward or ASUS did it, whatever. Anywas, i flipped it (it says one card here 2nd card goes here) and now my properties read correctly.
Dual card would make each card on my system run at 8x, but the newer sli mobos have it so that both cards run at 16x...i know MSI made one of these for sure. Supposed to be the best mbbo out there for SLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom