PCI and PCX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
Doing some research on PCX, and came up with almost nothing to answer my questions. Will PCI devices fit and function in a PCX port?

Don't lie to him Merlin. ;) .

Yes PCI Express is backwards compatible with PCI cards.

And the abreviation usually is PCI E.

Have to update this thread. It seems as though they are NOT compatible with one another. You can have PCX or PCI, but not PCX that supports PCI.

PCIX is different from PCI-E just so you know.

Yes PCI Express is backwards compatible with PCI cards.

And the abreviation usually is PCI E
Depends on the slot. a PCI-E 16x slot obviously isn't going to work with a normal PCI card, just look at the size of the slot in comparison.

They do have PCI-E 1x slots I believe and those should be compatible with normal PCI cards.

But as I said PCI-X is something completely different from PCI-E so first figure out which one you actually mean :p

PCI-X (Peripheral Component Interconnect Extended)
An extension to the PCI interface developed by IBM, HP, and Compaq. The extension allows data to be transferred at 1 GB per second using a 64-bit bus running at 133MHz. PCI-X peripherals are fully compatible with PCI and vice-versa, but will not run faster than the chipset or peripheral allows.

http://www.tech-encyclopedia.com/term/pci-x_(peripheral_component_interconnect_extended)

I cant believe how quickly I found that. There is never a decided term on this, I hate it. I've heard PCI-e called PCX for short. It's one of those things that is easily misunderstood.

PCI-E and PCX are not the same, as Nubius stated.

Basically, PCI-X is PCI on steroids, whereas PCI-E is a new architecture altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom