PCI Express?? COST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyph3R

Baseband Member
Is there any info on when PCI Express motherboards and gfx cards will be coming out, and how much will they be?

They will cost about as much as normal motherboards do with new technology (£100+).

Don't expect the prices to overwhelm you - it will be normal price + new technology price (only lasts for about 2 months).

well...i really want to get my comp, and im building it rite now, but i have second thoughts. I want to wait for PCI Express, but i also want my computer NOW!!! should i wait?

It depends really, I mean your computer always falls behind within a couple of months anyway. The thing special about PCI Express is that it isn't a new generation GPU like from GeForce FX to GeForce 6. It is a totally new piece of technology that effects other technology - it is the building blocks and the foundation of your computer's graphics engine.

I remember how disappointed I was years ago when I bought a computer with PCI and AGP was released a couple of weeks later, it effected what graphics card I was limited to.

Cyph3R said:
well...i really want to get my comp, and im building it rite now, but i have second thoughts. I want to wait for PCI Express, but i also want my computer NOW!!! should i wait?

It's gonna take months b4 pci express cards are @ normal prices.....

Waiting always pays of...

I say just buy a new system once the next gen, ie Geforce 6800 and R420 come out because in a year or two the new BTX form factor will be released and it wont matter if you got PCI express or not because it will be time to upgrade not only your videocard but you case, mobo, processor and all the rest! This is a crappy time for computer users because we need new cases that allow for better cooling (ATX) and new graphics cards for Doom 3 and the like but at the same time the next generation of basic computer parts, ie mobo are just around the corner. If you buy now you get the next two years worth out of your machine and then when you need to upgrade all the new tech will be out. Otherwise you are going to get stuck half way into the new upgrade cycle. Just my take

hereticiv said:
I say just buy a new system once the next gen, ie Geforce 6800 and R420 come out because in a year or two the new BTX form factor will be released and it wont matter if you got PCI express or not because it will be time to upgrade not only your videocard but you case, mobo, processor and all the rest! This is a crappy time for computer users because we need new cases that allow for better cooling (ATX) and new graphics cards for Doom 3 and the like but at the same time the next generation of basic computer parts, ie mobo are just around the corner. If you buy now you get the next two years worth out of your machine and then when you need to upgrade all the new tech will be out. Otherwise you are going to get stuck half way into the new upgrade cycle. Just my take

yea... i REALLY dont wanna wait to get my comp cuz ive been waiting forever and im tired of waiting, but also i dont wanna buy a comp and then realize how much screwed over i got cuz i didnt wait =/

WHAT DO I DO!?!?!@?!@?!?##@!?$!?#@$!

Be patient. Check out a few motherboard company websites and see what their take is on PCI Express boards - if you don't see any progress or if it doesn't look as if PCI Express is going to be out this Spring, then go for a new system.

But I would personally wait, but my system is ok to use until PCI Express etc is out.

how long do you guys think it will take b4 the prices drop and new stuff comes out

My plans are to stick with AGP until it pretty much goes to hell like PCI did a long time back, and once it does fall, I'm gonna hunt for a PCI Express mobo to run the new cards on.

AGP still probably has quite a long road ahead of it guys. Don't leave it just yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom