PCI Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHopsky

In Runtime
I just noticed after having this motherboard for three quarters of a year that I had a tiny PCI slot, which I'm guessing is PCI Express (not the 16x). Its about a quarter the size of a standard PCI slot. Ive heard of smaller PCI expresses...What can you do with a slot like this? I noticed all the newer mobo's have 1 or 2 or these little guys.

Pci express X 16 slots are used for the most up to date generation of graphics cards used. They are an upgrade from them the Agp X 8 slots, which are probably at the end of their life with the release of the 7800gs. and if you mobo has 2 of these you can run the graphic cards in sli/crossfire with nvidia/ati respectively.

luke87 said:
Pci express X 16 slots are used for the most up to date generation of graphics cards used. They are an upgrade from them the Agp X 8 slots, which are probably at the end of their life with the release of the 7800gs. and if you mobo has 2 of these you can run the graphic cards in sli/crossfire with nvidia/ati respectively.

The slot I'm talking about is probably a quarter of the size of a regular PCI slot. I know what a x16 looks like and what it does, however, I've heard of small PCI expresses. Maybe its not even an express, Im not sure. What is this little slot for?

DJ-CHRIS said:
You can use this slot for network cards, sound cards, and stuff of that type.

Hmm... I just looked them up on NewEgg. Interesting.

Thanks for the help.

As nobody has said this, it is the PCI express X1 slot. I have only seen TV cards and network cards for it, sound cards should follow on soon, if they haven't already.

Looking at my mobo, they are inbetween the graphics cards, so realisticly they are too close the GPU.

Thanks for reporting this.

For future reference, don't quote what you are reporting, because then I have to edit/delete two posts instead of one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom