P4 775 Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho17

Solid State Member
hey everyone

i have recently buoght a new gigabyte motherboard and intel p4 processor at 3Ghz. It is a socket 775 with a huge heatsink and fan, but it is not running as cool as it should be. My motherboard tells me that it is usually running at about 40-50 degrees (celcius, in Faranheit i think it is about 110-125 degrees). It wasnt running this hot before hand, and i have only removed the heatsink once since installation.
I am looking for a better heatsink/fan combo that will provide much better cooling than my current heatsink/fan i have had my eyes on a thermaltake tower 112 for quite a while but am sceptical about the size/weight. Can anyone offer me a better suggestion?

sorry. i applied just enough that it spread over the whole cpu. i had a friend who knew wat he was doing guide me, so that i didnt put on too much or too little.

hmm, thats the worst tihng u did, spreading it all over CPU, as thermal pastes are applied in such manner, that only 10% of the CPU die gets covered (no big bump as well). this then automatically adjusts itself covering 60% area in 2-3 days of operation. this finalises into a very very thin layer (thinner than hairline) that effectively transmits heat from the CPU die to the heat sink base.

as no two surfaces of the DIE and heatsink are perfectly smooth to come in 100% contact with each othre, as if they still are smoth, still there left micron valleys not visible to naked eye. so these valleys are to be filled which require even less than hairline thickness of the thermal material.

once again pulloff the heat sink, clean both CPU die and Heatsink with isopropyl alcohol, then re-apply a very minute quantity and see if cools down your system,

have you over clocked ur system?

ok thanks for that i understand a little better now but the amount u specified (no thicker than a hair line, was roughly the amount left on there. as for ur question, my cpu is not currently over clocked, but it was overclocked to 3.3 well b4 this problem occurred, when i first bought it.

yeah man, i agree you put way too much on it if it covered all of the raised area on the cpu. i didn't know it took so many days to spread out though, that's cool.

how much do you think that'll cool down his system in general once there is less paste? 5-10c?

i'm on 3.2 northwood core and used arctic silver 5 compound. and I applied very less despite that the copper part of my heat sink haas very rough surfaces.

and my temperature remains between 38-42 in normal pc usage. and reaches maximum 48 in heavy loads (room temp @ 21 degree c)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom