Over Clocking CPU, question

Status
Not open for further replies.

meepins

In Runtime
Okay, I'm really newbie at this kinda stuff.
Do I need to buy a new heatsink to overclock?
My CPU is Pentium 4 2.8GHZ HT.

Thanks!

If you have the p4 prescott, you can OC a 2.8 to 3.7ghz with stock cooling. But it runs a lil hot under a heavy load. If you have watercooling you can OC it way farther. I got mine to 3.4ghz with really no temp difference. And I pushed it all of the way to 3.75ghz until the temps were high and stability problems. I use the stock HSF

I've got mine at 3.4Ghz, and there is no temp difference.. But im using a better heat sink.

You can overclock with your stock heatsink but you will get better results with a after market one.

Also if you want to get to 3.7Ghz it also depends if your memory can reach that speed.

Oh, I was just planning to OC to 3.0 Ghz o_O
I guess I'll go to 3.2-3.4 with stock heatsink.

uzi, what do you mean by p4 prescott?

The prescott is a newer version of a P4, It was slated to be the new P5, but Intel decided to hold on to release the p5. The prescott has 200fsb (4x pumped) 800mhz bus. And the 1mb l2 cache, with a longer data pipeline and more multimedia extensions.

that will be a pain in the ass to overclock, you should really try to get a Prescott, the Northwoods usually top out at around 3.7 Ghz and that isn't very nice and that is with the 3.4 GHz version, yours would top out at 3.1 GHz I'm guessing

Codeine, Intels OC a lot further than AMD with little performance gain per clock.

A 900MHz increase on an Intel is probably about the same as a 400-500MHz on an AMD processor.

No doubt it's a nice increase for an Intel, but yeah 900MHz seems like a huge jump if you're used to AMD because for an AMD processor that WOULD be a huge jump. For Intels though it's a lot more common.

Bigger fatter pipelines give it that ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom