Old Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich K

In Runtime
Ok, this seemed like the best forum for this so here goes.

I have a old gateway computer that got a virus last summer. i didn't mess with it until about 2 weeks ago. i was bored, so i was trying to fix it. i installed windows98 over the top. got all the old data off of it. and formatted it. after this, i installed windows98 on the computer. but i was just using it as my test computer. i wanted to try out fdisk so i went to ms-dos and typed it went to the screen and stuff. but when i tried to make a new portion it said it didn't have enough space. i thought it was just a single portion so i wanted to format and mess around with fdisk. i did, then i went to fdisk and made 2 portions, and i set the main one and everything. but now, the computer says it's loading and everything. but then it just goes to a blank screen with a underscore. and worse, it won't read the cd-rom so i can't reinstall windows. any suggestions?

Sound like maybe you forgot to set the active partition in Fdisk. Do you remember doing that?

If not it's no big deal, just boot up into dos again, run fdisk and set it.

BASSMASTER said:
Sound like maybe you forgot to set the active partition in Fdisk. Do you remember doing that?

If not it's no big deal, just boot up into dos again, run fdisk and set it.
I'm pretty sure i did. but if i didn't, how do i boot into dos? things like f4 and f8 don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom