the old debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmark scores

Well, it starts off tough for AMD and finishes tough too. I don't see a single score that AMD wins in the benchmarks against Intel's 'slower' 3GHz Pentium 4. When looking at 3DMark 2003, focus on the CPU tests. The others are more video intense. SysMark 2002 and PCMark 2002 are dominated by Intel. The scores are not close. AMD has two SysMark 2002 scores. The left-hand score is without using their 'patch' that enables 3DNow! PRO instructions (SSE). The right-hand score is with the patch installed. A small increase in performance but nothing that touches Intel's 3GHz monster.

AMD's woes continue through Main Concept where Intel is faster to convert the file (lower time is faster). The trend is the same through the other synthetic scores.

The game scores are a bit closer in some of the benchmarks and in others, Intel is again dominate. Falcon 4 is close with a small Intel win. IL2 is being dominated by Intel. Comanche 4 is close but still Intel is ahead by at least 10%.

nice link and interesting read. The 3200+ is indeed a dissapointment. The 3000+ was good and was on par w/ the P4's of its time. At the moment AMD is performing less than Intel, but for the super high end processors the pprice of AMD is higher. For mid to lower end processors though, Intel will always be more expensive (from most of the processors and prices on newegg.com :D ). I'll guess with my main choice, i'll still stick with AMD because my Athalon 2400+ still outpreforms my friends P4 2.6ghz and was a heck of a lot cheaper :D . again nice read and thanks for link

Edit: The one thing that the review focused on was apps (which the hyperthreading has a distinct advantage) However, i was dismayed to see that it didnt include any game benchmarks (the true tests), and 3dMark2k3 isnt exactly the best test since most (read: 99%) next gen-games arent based off the MaxFX engine (ie. the comparison didnt show engine tests (like the 3000+ gettin better performance in unreal 2k3 than the 3.06ghz P4 according to tomshardware). A good read for the performance for apps, but it didnt include anything about gaming :( still a good read

AMD in generall has been dissapointing me. Intel is completely re-inventing the architecture with their 64bit chip, and AMD is still building on the Antiquated X86.

They really need to turn around to keep my buisness.

agrred ecniv, the 3200+ is just sad, hopefully the new line they are coming out with will make them as great as they were in the 2000+ series... *darthparth pats his 2400+ ow hot hot hot*

This is because Intel is now using the technology that made AMD faster at the same MHz, yet AMD thinks they can charge a premium because they are the "gaming CPU of choice":confused:

AMD64 is the arcitecture, the processor you're thinking of is the Athlon64. The Opteron (server version) has been out for quite some time now. At any rate, these 32/64-bit hybrids are mostly hype IMO, and won't be taken full advantage of until at least the next generation of procs.

games

darthparth, they did do benchmark tests on games, look

Games

Falcon 4.0 SP3
IL-2: Forgotten Battles OpenGL and Direct 3D
Ghost Recon Patch: English Patch
Comanche 4 Patch: Demo Benchmark
FS2002 Patch: Fresh install only
1024 x 768 1600 x 1200
Falcon 4.0 SP3 53 / 57 53 / 53
IL-2: Forgotten Battles OpenGL 43 / 80 26 / 50
Comanche 4 Patch: Demo Benchmark 54.78 / 61.56 53.30 / 58.17
FS2002 Patch: Fresh install only 34 / 37 34 / 37

in il-2 the framerate was almost doubled by the p4

and btw, those arent apps, they are benchmark test software

cheap processor

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4GHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB - OEM
Specifications:
CPU: 2.4GHz
Type: Pentium 4 Northwood
Cache: 512K
BUS: 800 Mhz
Socket: 478
OEM version -OEM (limit 5 per customer)

Item: N82E16819116158 Model# RK80532PG056512
Price: $170.00 Shipping: Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

this is the cheapest P4C i have found

oooh i see those games....never played any of those lol usually UT2k3 is the benchmark of choice since its good at pushing the graphics envelope and comes with the inhouse benchmarker. But ghost recon seems pretty worthy. What would have made the test sweet would be to use next gen engines and see the performance... unfortunately the only one out is the UT2k3 one :D sorry bout the mixup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom