ok what is the point to Dual Core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nechen

Baseband Member
I'm going to put this bluntly, I'm coming to discover that all the "Advances" in computer technology seem completely pointless.

For instance I'm looking at a 4000+ for my comp and people are telling me to get a 3800+ X2...

The 3800+ X2 is JUST THE SAME SPECS as the 4000+ except its a lot slower in its processing power.

Can someone please tell me what the **** Dual Core does for a gaming machine? And please dont post any buzzwords like "Takes advantage of multi-threaded applications"

thanks I already read on Wikipedia...I still dont get why you'd want a Dual Core for gaming

Perhaps not for just gaming. Most use their PC's for multiple purposes, and much of the time when not gaming they/we are running more than one application at a time.

Also, the entire industry is moving toward dual cores. Software and Applications will be making use of the advantages of dual core processors. Two hands is faster than one.

I think that it is about flexability and upgradeability (is that a word?). Especially upgrading, with how fast the technology moves it is wise to play it like chess.

Not for gaming quite yet, but I would imagine that all games from Crysis or UT2k7 will use more than one core.

I think you need to calm down, your friends are telling you to get an X2 3800+ for a good reason. It may have a lower clock speed, but you need to remember that it is basically two processors...

And multi-threaded applications isn't a buzz word ... Unless you'd like us to dumb-down our talk and speak to you like a total n00b? If you want us to talk to you like a total n00b, just let us know, otherwise don't tell us what not to say.

umm whats a multi threaded process? and again whats going to be the point to have two processors??

Haven't really heard any relevent speed comparisons or performance ratings...

and in regards to something I've never been able to find information about is this...

I know for a fact you can assign processes to different cores but for example, say you're running the new UT2k7 is there really any way its going to combine the power of both the "Cores" to double the efficiency?

Isn't having two cores like having a spare tire in your car? Its there but you never use it...

I only ask in my veil of ignorance

thanks

No Nechen, if it is MULTITHREADED it means there will be about 3-4 processes running on your computer to create one game therefore allowing BOTH cores to effectively run the game allowing for double the speed and power of the core to come out.

Also, it is system stability, how many times have you been playing and then some antivirus shows up and starts bogging everything down? Ya well with my dual core I have ot alt tab to notice it.

Not only that I can encode DVDs, download programs, and run norton while playing Guild wars with the least possible amount of any type of lag, (there is some but it is minimal) Also, what is .2 Ghz? It isn't THAT good.

a dual core CPU means the computer can process two instructions at the same time, instead of just one.

this means the computer can handle multiple programs better.

it also means that, if the software is programmed to take advantage of the second CPU core, the software can run faster

if you're building a computer now you want to build it with the future in mind, sure you might get slightly better results currently with the faster single core in games but you wait a year or two and games will greatly benefit from that extra core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom