OK! I have a question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyG

Beta member
Ok, well I'm pretty savvy with computers, but I've never built one. I just recently got a minimum-wage paying job at a pizza place, but I make tips as a delivery driver (don't worry, I'm going somewhere with this). Well, I decided to build my own computer by living off of my tips and using my checks to buy the pieces for the computer. A couple days ago, I purchased a new mobo and processor from newegg.com. The processor is a P42.6Ghz, 800mhzFSB, and the mobo is from Intel (if asked to provide links, I will in another reply.).

Anyways, I only make about 300$ every 2 weeks, and I'm in desperate need of a new machine. I have a GeForce5800 Ultra 256meg card in my PIII600 right now, so I was just gonna take that card, put it in this mobo, get some ram, put the processor in, get a new box, then use my old floppy/cd-burner/hard drive/sound card/speakers/monitor from my Dell (since all those things work fine right now) and make my new computer for about 600$. Would this work? Would I need to buy a new HD? I know this may sound silly to you guys, but since I've never done this before, I would really like to be sure.

Thanks!

nope, sounds good man, i did the same thing acually back in september, i just purchased a new mobo, cpu, and ram, and well over the next few eeks i got a new case and speakers and vid card, but i used my old cd-roms, hard drives, and floppy, and monitor!
so go for it!!! and enjoy

Yea, absolutely. All the parts you mentioned are interchangable.
However, you did mention the hard drive. If you have a working hard drive wihtin another PC, don't expect to just take the hard drive out of the other PC and place it in this new one and have it boot up into your, already existing, operating system. Since the OS on the drive is in a new "home" you will need to re-format the drive and load the OS from scratch. Not sure if you knew that but it would have been a pretty big disappointment if you didn't.

-Michael

umm, it aint all "interchangeable" you need to check the mobo and the video card, i hae run into this problem with the newer P4 mobos, if you have a mobo that has 8x AGP (1.5v) and your card is a 4x AGP (3.3v) which, coming from a PIII, i really doubt youll have 8x AGP, as it wasnt around then, so youll need a new video card, if you try and put that 4x card in the 8x slot, it will fry ur mobo as its pulling too much voltage, other than that i really dont think youll have a problem, but make sure you get at least a 400w PSU in the new box

Dude, have you actually fried a motherboard by placing in a 4x into a slot supporting 8x? If so, I'm shocked. (No phun)
AGP4x technology is simply a transfer rate and a standard device revision of AGP2.0. I have placed a 4x card into an 8x slot and the transfer rate stayed at 4x which is what is supposed to happen.

The main difference between these two cards is a couple of leads on the card conductor strip. Maybe people have noticed some "freaky" things. If you have noticed these things......please share.
But the worst thing that I've experienced happen is that the AGP3.0 standard will not be met and the transfer rate will stay constant at 4x.

-Michael

the reason you havent experienced these "shocking" results is because

1) the card was a 4x @ 1.5v (which they do make)

2) the borad supported 4x/8x

what im saying is, if you have an 8x only board, which my new one is, and a 4x card @ 3.3v, you will fry your mobo, because youre pulling too much power, now some boards such as the soyo dragon 2 have a feature that shuts down the mobo as soon as it is recognized

yeah i heard about this one. you must have had a really old video card if it runs on 3.3volts. all the recent cards are 1.5 volt since a few years ago. it's a good thing for you the video card was all that got fried.

AndyG eventually you will want to replace your hard drive unless it already has an ATA133 interface with 8MB cache. you have a very powerful video card and CPU, the hard disk will be slowing your overall computer speed drastically if all you have is a 5400 RPM ATA100 hard disk with 2MB cache.

nonono my friend that is what im saying, the motherboard got fried, thats the problem, it draws too much voltage through the agp slot and fries the mobo (this was not me, it was a friend that didnt know too much about computers), and my vid card aint that old, i got it last august, so its 1yr and 3 months old, i guess its getting up there, but im buying a radeon 9200 with the s-video out neways

o and btw im sorry i made a mis-statement the 8x agp is @ 0.8v, the newer 4x agp is @ 1.5v and the oldest agp is @ 3.3v, maybe thats where the confusion came from, but if you try and put a 4x @ 3.3v card in a 8x @ 0.8v only slot u will fry the mobo, and maybe even with the 8x/4x standard it would fry it as the old standard is 3.3v and the 8x/4x is @ 1.5v, which is still over 2X the voltage, who knows what it would do? any volunteers want to try it and find out? lol!

re

Actually, the video card I have is meant for 8xAGP, but it's running in my 4xAGP slot, so instead of having 256megs of ram, it's only using 128...

But I suppose switing the vid card onto the new mobo will be fine, since it has an 8xAGP slot on it, and it will run at 256megs of ram...

Right?

why would the speed affect the amount of RAM?
if you have an 8x card in an 8x mobo (they will be the same voltage if it's 8x) it will be fine.
you won't have to format the drive at all, just reinstall/repair the OS and it will reconfigure the registry, dll files and settings for the new MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom