Not Recognizing Hard drive Capacity!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AznRurouni007

Baseband Member
I have a 160 GB external hard drive (basically a 3.5 inch drive in a enclosure) connected to a tablet PC, but it only recognizes it as 127gb, i'm pretty sure its because of the size limit problem, but i remember that it was fixed with windows xp sp1 (i have sp2) so i'm not sure what it could be, please help if possible, thanks!

`Joseph

depends on the tablet pc's bios/storage controller, if its limited to 127GB there isnt much you can do even if the OS is ok with it

check the specs of the tablet PC

this can be done when you startup only correct? delete key or in my case "press jog dial?" haha, thanks for your help, i believe that the bios should be ok, because this is the size where high-capacity hdd's always break with this bug, but i have to give it a check

`Joseph

no, goto the website or owners manual of the tablet pc your using and look up its actual specs and see what it supports, it may be limited to how much hard drive it can handle, this is very very common

long ago, PC's initially had a 2GB limit, then 8.4Gb, then some had a 134GB limit(some still do,older socket A mobo's are often like that), now its quite a bit bigger

some of those limits were hardware, some were software, you may be in a situation where the OS is ok, but your running into a hardware or firmware limit, there may even be a firmware upgrade, dunno, all you can do is check

oh ya, one other distinct possibility here,that thing is an IDE drive in a USB enclosure right?Well, its got circuitry inside that adapts the IDE to USB so your system can use it, that may be limited to 127GB as well, check that too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom