Next upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba0315

In Runtime
Well, my gaming is starting to get low in quality, so I am going to upgrade processor, get more ram, and possibly a sound card and speakers. (I use headphones, so I'm not sure.)

I currently have P4 1.8 *tear* I'm looking to buy something with a good bang for my buck. Yes, I know I am looking at P4's, so amd lovers please don't be hatin' lol.

I'm gonna pick up another 512 kinston.

The only think I'm wondering about is what processor to pick out, and what is a nice/cheap (i know they don't mix well) sound card/speakers (mainly for music or when nobody is home.)

My specs are in meh siggy.

Thank you.

Processor... I know everyone has been saying this and everyone is probably going to say this, so I might as well lay it out there. The AMD Athlon 64s with the Venice core are nice... 3200+ or 3500+ are both nice and cheap... try one of those maybe?

Sorry about that... I totally missed that. I saw that you had a P4 but I guess I skipped over you saying that you wanted one. Sorry... my mistake.

btw, there's no point in upgrading an old computer

You have to do what your budget allows.

If you can't afford an entirely new system, upgrade what you can, but keep an eye on what will transfer to a new system in the future.

Old computer? I just built mine end of last summer. I built it knowing I would need to upgrade when I started doing more on it, and now it's that time. I'm not sure if an AMD is compatible with my mobo (in sig) I want the same memory that I already have (in sig) just more of it. I know I am getting a processor, and my budget is about 300 as of now, but if I decide to get more paintball stuff, could be less. Depends on what I can get sooner.

EDIT:

The Processor:

ASUS P4R800-VM supports the Intel P4 Northwood processors. The Intel P4 processors use the Socket 478 pin connector that is onboard this motherboard. The Socket 478 is what is known as a ZIF socket or Zero Insertion Force socket. This makes installation of the processor very easy and it helps to reduce the mistakes. We chose the Intel P4 2.4 GHz processor and it came with cooling fan and fortunately ASUS includes the mounting hardware for the cooling fan already on the board and the power connector for the fan mounted right next to the CPU socket. The board also supports Intel Hyper Threading Technologies as well as the next generation Prescott CPU's.

The Memory :

The ASUS P4R800-VM motherboard supports bus speeds of 800/533/400 MHz and this allows for a wide range of memory options. Since memory chips are classified by their memory capacity as well as their speed at which they store and transfer data. The common capacities for memory chips are 64, 128, 256, 512 and 1024 MB capacities. The other way is the bus speed that they will work with; PC1600 (200 MHz), PC2100 (266 MHz) PC2700 (333 MHz) and PC3200 (400 MHz). But as you can imagine the prices also very amongst the different memory chips and the many different manufacturers. This is where you need to be very careful when you are choosing the brand of memory chips you chose. There are four memory slots on board and it support 128bit dual channel DIMM (Double In-line Memory Module)and they are color coded to help you follow the table in the manual. This board has a slight limitation and it involves the upper end of the memory range. If you chose to put PC3200 DIMM sticks you can only one stick in each channel and only up to a maximum of 2 GB. I usually chose one or two stick of 512 MB DDR PC2700 memory (Double Data Rate) from Kingston depending on what type of work the user will be doing with the computer. Kingston brand has alway been a top flight memory stick us and I doubt we will be changing.

Taken from... http://www.epinions.com/content_139446095492

Does that explain processor and memory questions? lol

I just found a mobo/processor bundle for 160 (negotiable)

Asus K8N-E Deluxe + Athlon 64 3000+

Should I do that or go for the processor that is linked above?

The money factor is a big one because I want speakers and other non-computer things.

Oh noes... double post

UP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom