New Computer Woes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weavo

Beta member
Hi All,

Well all my parts arrived and I have installed everything.

When installing XP Pro for the first time it asks if you want to hit F6 for a 3rd party raid controller (I am trying to get these in a RAID 0 format). I do this and it prompts me for a floppy. I give it the correct floppy provided by my mother board maker and hit the enter key. It waits a short time and then asks for the floppy again (almost as if it can't read it). Thinking that something may be wrong with my floppy I switch it with a known working good one from my older Dell machine. After doing this I power on the machine and it stalls at the "verifying DMI pool" part of the Bios boot. It just hangs there.

Anyone have any clue as to why this is happening? Is my MB hosed?

Here are my system specs...

AMD 3500+ socket 939
MSI Neo Nforce4 Platinum SLI
EVGA 6800 GT PCIE
2 WD Raptor drives
sony floppy drive
ANTEC tru power 480Watt
1 GB ( 512 X2) Corsair XMS
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Your advice would be greatly appreciated as this computer is just a really expensive paper weight at the moment

Thanks

The neo 2's nforce 3 had some bios issues that were resolved with flashing the bios. Could be that? Also, installing to a sata hd, let alone raid has been known to cause issues. (Update your raid card in windows, poof windows doesnt work anymore.). I'd recommend getting a 40gb or 80gb 7200rpm 8mb drive (70$ish) to install your operating system to.

Having your programs on 2x 10000 rpm drive really isnt going to help you any.

Thanks for the advice. I flashed the BIOS and it now no longer stops at the veryfying DMI pool message. It boots and starts the setup for XP. I still get the problem where when it prompts for a floppy for the RAID config, it is acting like it doens't recognize the floppy. It asks for it over and over after you hit the enter key.

Is it possible that the floppy controller on the motherboard is bad?? It is weird, becuase even if you leave a floppy in the flopopy drive and reboot it doesn't tell that there is a non-system disk in the floppy. Its like it just ignores it?

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Hm, is it possible that your floppy disk and/or drive are bad? Yes, it is possible for only the fdc controller to be bad. My suggestion is still to get a drive just for your OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom