New Asus Graphics Card Has GPU on Opposite Side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
asus_reversecool.gif

From neowin.net:
Asus has unveiled a new GeForce 6600 DDR2 graphics card with a twist. Typically, graphics cards have their processors on the topside of the card, and when fitted in a standard computer case have their GPU cooling solutions facing downward. We all know that heat rises, so naturally this is not optimal for cooling the GPU, as some heat is allowed to return.

To counter this, the Asus Extreme N6600TOP Silent graphics card has the GPU installed on the backside and fitted with a heat pipe. Asus is calling this new cooling method ReverseCool, and boasts that it allows for temperatures up to 30 degrees cooler while remaining completely silent, which could prove very attractive for gamers craving a near silent computing environment...

Although the card is listed in Asus's website, pricing and availability details were not available.

Makes sense to me.

I was wondering why they didn't do this before as well, as even I had the idea many years ago.

If this does well, I wonder if other companies will start doing it?

This is why BTX should start being mass produced and ATX start being phased out...they are both technically the same form factor with the only difference being BTX is flipped upsidedown...but it's designed with a much better cooling layout

If they would make a BTX-like layout that didn't screw you out of the cases we already have...

That's the problem with Intel's idea. it totally changes the way things are, and 95% of the cases on the market wouldn't work with it.

Actually, I like the layout of BTX. It makes a lot of sense. But not at the expense of everything else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom