New AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musjunk22

Daemon Poster
I want to build a new system with an amd cpu, but I'm not familiar with amd's. What type of amd would I need for doing things like: editing home video and pics, some gaming, and surfing the net to microsoft word. If you have any suggestions on a mobo to go with it I would appreciate it. I don't like spending a whole lot of money on computers so I don't want the best, just what could handle what I do. Also, I know that P4's and thier chipsets are made with 3 differen't fsb speeds of 400/533/800mhz, what speeds do amd's come in?

their not the newest, but I have always liked the Athlon XP CPUs. I know that Soyo makes good boards, and apart from my crap sata controller, this biostar mobo is good :)

i recommend taking a look at tigerdirect.com or newegg.com
for SOYO.

Athlon XPs use Socket A (aka Socket 468.)
For a 32-bit AMD platform, the best boards out there are those with the nForce2 chipset, namely the ones that mention the Ultra400 set, with the MCP-T northbridge.
If you don't get one with MCP-T, you miss out on kick-ass audio that rivals an Audigy2, and possibly dual-channel memory and S-ATA support, though i'm not sure on those last two.

The companies that make the best nForce2 boards, as far as I know, are DFI, Gigabyte, and Asus.
Check www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com for pricing and availability.
Leadtek and FIC have always made solid boards too, so don't count them out.

Which one is easiest to overclock...without having to solder points together or set jumpers?

get an athlon XP 2500+ barton core with an ASUS A7N8x-Deluxe motherboard and DDR400 Ram. The 2500+ barton core can easily be overclocked to a 3200+ without even breaking a sweat. mines been running like that for about 6 months now and hasnt had any problems what-so-ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom