Network/Ethernet Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHopsky

In Runtime
Is there a big differance between differant Network/Ethernet cards? I see that some are more or less/more expensive, but is there really a differance? Ive been using an old one but since it was sufficating my GPU (my mobo is set up horribly), I am now using the onboard. Could a more expensive ethernet card result in quicker response time or anything?

Guy the transfer rate is the big d. Seen. Best thing how we do is go with a 1000/100 Gigabit (ethernet) card.

Yeah no really big difference betwenn, you are paying for the name in most cases. Just make sure if you do buy one that you get a gigabit card 1000/100/10 so that your computer can take advantage of any ethernet network let be a cat5e or cat6 hookup.

apokalipse said:
if you're getting a 10/100 ethernet card, you shouldn't be paying more than about AU$20-$25 or US$15-$20

If you want a good network card you are still paying more.

However for most people a cheap one is fine. More expensive ones do their own calculations for packets, which takes away from the CPU doing it.

More expensive cards are also more reliable, and support more features (SNMP, VLAN's)

i have found onboard network cards to be slower than PCI network cards. I guess thats because onboard network cards are just cheapos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom