NetGear WGT624v3 Wireless problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyniv

Beta member
Hi there!

I'm using the above at home both hard wired and wirelessly. However the latter is causing me immense problems where trying to connect and maintain connections is concerned from my laptop.

The laptop is running XP service pack 3. I currently have it sat next to the Router and from the "Choose a wireless network" list the signal strength is two bars. I have just refreshed the list and lo and behold the router has disappeared completely, but some other 8 wireless networks from around the area are still displayed with varying signal strengths, some better than I had. When I have a signal I have trouble connecting and when connected the signal drops out and usually requires me to switch the router off and on again in order for the network list to see it and so it goes on.

Can anyone help me here, please? I'm at the end of my tether. I've changed a number of settings on the router in order to try and inject some stability, the most recent being running a product called inSSIDer beforehand, in order to see what the other networks are doing and then subsequently changing the Channel from 11 to 2 as a number of them were using 11, but basically all to no avail.

Normally the Laptop is about 30ft from the Router in a different room so it's effectively useless as far as the Internet is concerned. The connectivity has been an issue since I have had this Router, but of late it's just getting worse. My PC is hardwired in to the Router and I have no problems at all.

If I need a new Router then so be it as I can't keep messing around like this.

Cheers

:very_angry:

I would look at getting a new wireless card first. Get a cheap little USB one, and if that works 10x better, it is your laptop's wireless card to blame. Can pick up the cheapest one for $10 on Newegg.

Also, what class is your laptop's wireless? a/b/g/n?

Many thanks your replies.

1) I believe the firmware upgrade is for North America only and I'm in the UK. Will it work for me here?

If not I have the latest non NA firmware

2) I should have stated that both of the Ipods we have in the house have the same problem connecting and experience the connection dropping at the same time as the Laptop.

From looking at the properties of the wireless adaptor it says 802.11 b/g. Is that correct?

Cheers,

Niven

Yeah. That's right. So it's not an N router. B/G routers often had problems with wireless strength.

Did you try resetting your router?

Hi again!

I've tried a lot of things, that included. It's just very frustrating.

Funny thing today is, it's apparently not dropped out once, which is a bit of a record.

Any other suggestions I'll gladly try.

Incidentally an IT colleague of mine was suggesting I get a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router, hardware version 2. I don't know if you have any comments regarding this recommendation?

Cheers,

Niven

I'd rather get a WRT54GL and load DDWRT on it. Right now, I'm using a D-link DGL 4500. I never did like D-Link much, but it works. Any router can do that. Just make sure you update to a N-draft router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom