Needing a replacement keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I am looking for a keyboard to replace my current one (Saitek Eclipse I), but only when gaming. My left CTRL key is beginning to not respond way more than I am willing to put up with and I want my hands closer together when gaming. A standard keyboard with number keypad is too long to be comfortable for gaming for long stretches (for me).

I need to following:
  • short, without number keypad or the equivalent
  • normal keys (not laptop/chiclet keys)
  • normal layout (preferably without a FN key [may be impossible] as the left CTRL is the crouch key, but must have the F1-F12... or at least through F6)
  • preferably wired and USB
  • low cost, but serviceable for gaming
  • do not want a trackpad, trackball, or any such stuff

I like the Microsoft Sidewinder X6 in that it has a detachable number keypad, but $60 is more than I want to pay this time around (plus NewEgg is currently out of stock). I know I have seen a couple of other keyboards that have detachable keypads... somewhere, but I have not had much luck in finding them.

Thanks, guys... but I ain't rich. :D Besides, the missus will have to agree to whatever I get.

The switch feel is generally described ranging from "too stiff" to "like typing on wet newspaper"[1] or "like prodding a dead octopus".

That doesn't sound very good!!!

And trotter it comes in white! Who doesn't want a white keyboard!!

Well, it seems the Sidewinder X6 has been discontinued on NewEgg.

Right now I am trying to decide on cheaping out with a Cyber Snipa Gamepad or waiting for a CM Storm to come back into stock. I have looked at the G13 and just don't think it would work for me. Same thing with the Razer Nostromo.

Ugh.

I just pulled the trigger on the CoolerMaster Storm. Hopefully I made a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom