Need a new graphics card for Doom 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nak-1

In Runtime
Well, the time has come and my linux box is about to be no more. A hasty switch to windows is coming so I can play doom 3. I have a P4 at 2.8 Gz, 1 gig ram and an 800 Mhz frontside bus, so looking good so far, however my graphics card is looking decidedly dodgy, a GeForce Mx 4000.

The problem is I can't afford a top of the range card, at least not yet, so I want to know whats going to give me the most joy for my money.

What should I get that's better than my current card but not top of the range?

Sadly not, 6800 GT goes for about £250 here in the UK, that's about $450.

Thanks for the reply thogh and I will check out the others.

well the 5700 ultra and 9600 are both 4 pipes,5900 and up nvidia 9800 and up ATI are both eight pipes,more power just something to think about,I myself have a 5900se made by EVGA,this is the card I chose after alot of homework and headache lol didn`t want to spend alot but wanted to have a fast card with good graphics since I have alot of other things that require money also,and the best card I could find was the one I got for the money,I don`t know if they still sell it or not EVGA that is but other card makers make it also,but they are not all the same,but I can tell you that the card I have tells me I have no limitations on anything I want to play so far,and that includes joint operations,and I would say that a 9800 by ATI would be just as good,but my card came with call of duty and a few other goodies lol,hope that helps you on your decision,oh yeah the card I bought was about 189.00 I think US.

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks for the info boomer.

I can get:
128Mb 5700 Ultra for £113, about $203
256Mb 9600 XT for £92, about $165

From this comparsion the 9600 XT would seem like the obvious choice, or am I missing something here?

128Mb 5900 XT is £131, about $235
128Mb 9800 SE is £103, about $185

Givn what boomer said about the pipes maybe I should go for the 9800?

What do you think?

The ati 9800se looks like a good buy, plus it's much better then the gforce 4. i wouls go for it if i was you.

i have a 9800 pro with an amd xp 2800 and 1 GB memory and run doom 3 on ultra mode quite fine no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom