Need help with an old 486

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flea Bass Pro

Beta member
Hey everyone.

I just got this old Micro City 486 from my uncle because he didnt want it anymore. Its got one CD drive, one 1 gig harddrive, one 5 1/4 floppy, and one 3 1/2 floppy. This is what i did when i got it. The computer would not boot because my uncle said he had formated the harddrive, which was running on Dos 6 and Windows 3.1. I asked him if he had made a boot disk and he said no. So now i am trying to see if I can boot it off a Dos 6 boot disk i downloaded, but i have a problem. The BIOS does not seem to want to boot off the 3 1/2 floppy drive, (which is drive B:), it tries to boot off the 5 1/4 drive. This is a problem in that i do not have a 5 1/4 boot disk! Also, the two floppy drives use completely different connectors. Can anyone help?

thanks

karl vanderslice.

You can download a bootdisk for 3.1 here....
BOOTDISK.COM

I have an old 486 that runs on DOS, it has two 3.5 and one 5 1/4 drives. ( the hard drive is 8 MB.. LMAO) It boots from the first 3.5... I would disconnect the 5 1/4 drive before booting to force the board to look for a alternate floppy source to boot from, but that's just me. Don't know if it's right or not

Your uncle said he had formatted the hard drive.... What are the chances it's wiped clean? Doesn't matter what kind of boot disk you use if there's no longer an o/s installed to boot to:confused:

um right now as i write this i just took out all the hard drives, floppys, and everything like that. im going to try to hook them up again to see if that doesnt do it, and if not, scrap parts for everyone ahhahah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom