Need Help With Motherboard upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mateo909

Beta member
I am looking into upgrading my computers motherboard and processor.
I currently have an HP 9795C Pavilion. 1.4 ghz P4, 640 Rambus memory, geforce4 Ti4200 64 mb. I would like to know if i should keep this motherboard and just upgrade the processor? I am also looking into getting the ATI 9800 Pro 128 Mb or the 9800XT 256 Mb with 8xAGP. I dont think my motherboard now will support 8x AGP. What is the fastest processor that i can put in this motherboard and if my motherboard is not compatible with the video card that i am getting i will need to get a new one. I was looking into the ASUS P4C800-E. Boosting my memory up to 2 GB (too bad its DDR, I love my rambus....except for the cost of upgrading)and installing a P4 2.8 Ghz chip.

What should i do here..money isnt much of a problem but i dont want to spend an arm and a leg for stuff that is gonna be outdated in a week. So i am looking at all the stuff that is just below the top of the line...........dont really care to save much on the motherboard...i know ill be spending close to 200 on that alone.
I play ALOT of Counter Strike and want my comp to be incredible fast.
What are your guys suggestions..please help me out...i dont know all the technical stuff. just the basic stuff to look for. Thanks for your help in advance.

Btw, how good is the new 64 bit?? i know the price is WAY too much but an info??

Thanks again
Matt

ok first off, you bought a HP so you already got screwed over.

If you decide to buy a new motherboard, you also have to buy a new power supply since HP has a different power supply.

Now, if you bought a radeon 9800, somehow i believe it wont be used to the full potential it has if your using that HP motherboard.

As for your HP motherboard, and since its a 1.7, im guessing off the bat your motherboard FSB is 400, so you probably wont be able to go that much higher if ur upgrading the processor.

Id say, buy new mobo/processor/PSU.

Oh yea, as for the FX chip, heres my 2 cents.

-Highly Expensive
-Highly Useless Currently inless you plan to be running a server or something.
Even P4's with 800 FSB is useless imho inles your running a server or video editing or somethin ;)

Ok thanks for the info....i am probably gonna get the mobo, processor, and i guess a new power supply. Why am i screwed that i have a HP?? Ive had this thing since November of 2000 and its the first P4 to ever come out(1.4 Ghz), and i ve had no problems with it so far...except having to replace the cd+rw. What are your guys personal opinion on what setup to go with for playing Counter Strike???

Mobo-?
Processor-?
Video Card-?? (9600XT??)
Power Supply-?

HELP!!!

Btw, here is a link to my comps...specs.
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph06248#P11_299

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom