Need Advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mort

Baseband Member
WHY WON"T YOU PEOPLE HELP ME!!

i am currently building a new system with a new hard drive i also want to add my old one as a slave and i want to know if i install windows on the new hdd will it conflict with the windows on the old one and if so what can i do so i can still use my other hdd without putting everything on cd/dvd then moving it.

there is 38 gig approx and i really want to avoid having to back it all up onto disk :eek:

anyone got any suggestions??

If you install Windows on the new HD then no, it wont confict with the old HD.

When you get back into Windows after installing it on the new HD, your old HD should be listed in My Computer. Just take the files you want, copy them over, and when you are done you can format it.

I agree with Hotwheelz. The windows on the old drive should not be a problem. Windows should automatically assign your old drive to E:

What size is your new drive compaired with your old drive?

If your old drive is smaller, then why not use it just to store your OS on it and leave the bigger drive for your data.

cas0496 said:
I agree with Hotwheelz. The windows on the old drive should not be a problem. Windows should automatically assign your old drive to E:

I think the only problem would come up is if it tried booting up the old HD and new HD and conflicted. But, I cant think of any reason it would do that:(

Silesia said:
What size is your new drive compaired with your old drive?

If your old drive is smaller, then why not use it just to store your OS on it and leave the bigger drive for your data.

A great idea. That way if you do get a virus or something and have to format your OS drive, you have all your programs and data stored on the 2nd HD. You would just have to format the main OS HD and you could then get your data back:)

A fail safe plan:)

wouldn't simply copying the stuff over be kinda sketchy, cause i did think of that but then thought what if it screws up mid copying?

Mort said:
wouldn't simply copying the stuff over be kinda sketchy, cause i did think of that but then thought what if it screws up mid copying?

If you are copying from one HD to the other, and it stops (I dont see any reason why it would though) then you would just go back and start it over. It would overwrite whatever you didnt get finished and you could go from there.

ill try that then thanx hotwheelz, after all there only files.

im only worried about the 3000 music files (sonicstage). but i do want to reformat the smaller one (40) so i think your idea is the man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom