My HD configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
My case has 2 80mm front intake fans. The drive bay in front of there fans in configured so that the second slot from the bottom places the top of an installed HD just a little bit into the flow of air. I currently have the bottomomst drive bay filled with my secondary HD. Again, there is very little airflow down there, since it is below the intake fans. I have been reading them temperatures off of both HD (built in sensors) and see the bottom one run at 50C during intensive activity (in this case summing a torrent) and around 46 5 min after the conclusion of that activity. The top one runs at a chilly 33C. Is the high temp of the bottom drive a risk to either device?

As far as i can tell from using HDDs at that temp it really isn't a big problem.

A few years ago I used HDDs without fans and they were some of the first 7200RPM ones, i've also used SCSIs at 10K RPM and I never had any heat problems with the drives.

A while ago though I started using HDDs bays, you know the removable ones with fans and heatsinks. These dropped the temp of the HDDs considerably, but I have noticed no extra performance or reliability from the drives.

So if I were you I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom