Is my graphics card broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangaroo

Daemon Poster
I have tried all different BIOS settings (including Default) and all the drivers out there; from ATI drivers to Sapphire drivers.

My system has sufficient cooling and power for everything in my system (System 1 below). I can't get my 9800 Pro to stop crashing!.

The AGP voltage is at 1.5V, is this correct? The molex connector is connected to the 9800 Pro card.

My card is:
Sapphire ATI 9800 Pro 128MB DDR (256-bit) memory. It is not overclocked (GPU 380MHz).

Could somebody give me some advice? Should I return the card?

It has crashed on 3D Marks 2001SE, Aquamark, 3D Marks 2003 etc. Also within games.

Let's think about this for a second. I know you have an extra video card from your other PC's. Plug one of those in and see if your machine still crashes. Try to re-seat it. Re-install the drivers/card. Take some temp readings too.

Hehe suprisingly enough, it doesn't crash when I install another graphics card, so that would point towards the card being broken.

I'll try my 9800 Pro in my XP2500+ system tonight, see how it copes.

Was the card before an ATI card also. If not, you may have some residual driver files from NVIDIA wich conflict with your ATI and causes crashes. If that is the case, reinstall your old card, completely remove your old drivers with Detonator Destroyer or similar, reinstall your ati and drivers.

The thing is, I have done a complete OS reinstall since I got my card. Personally I think it is just a card problem, I have written to the supplier.

It does sound like a bad Video card. Did you have the video card plugged into a dedicated molex plug. Meaning the whole string of connectors were not plugged into anything else but the video card. There must not be anything connected to the string other wise the video card will crash and system will reboot.

BTW, is that your real pic Kangaroo?

CrucialLabs said:
BTW, is that your real pic Kangaroo?

Hehe no CL, that is Kristen Kreuk, an actress from Smallville. She is beautiful so I have pictures of her on all the forums I visit.

My picture is: Me

From left to right is: Mummy :p, John (pilot/family friend, rich dude), me then my brother on right.

reduce the agp down to 4x in the bios and then in SMARTGART I set it to 4x and see how it goes that way. That'll at least point in the right direction. Also, assume you've used upto date catalyst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom