More RAM or Faster RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMT

In Runtime
I currently use one stick of DDR333 PC2700 (512MB). I have a stick of DDR266 PC2100 (128MB) laying around.

I was wondering, do you think that adding an extra 128MB would give me any kind of a performance gain? Keeping in mind that the FSB speed is going to drop 67MHz.

In my opinion, I'm better off sticking with just the one stick of DDR333 PC2700 (512MB), but I'm just curious as to what other people's opinions are on this matter.

TMT. :cool:

i would say add the extra stick. but what i really think is, test it out. nothing wrong with a little trial and error. put in the memory and test it out for a week, if you think its better or not, well u'll know what to do.

Hey, nobody here so far seems to realize that if he adds that extra stick, he is going to see a huge performance drop. 640MB is not much more than 512, and it would all be running at PC2100 speeds. Not only would your memory be slower, but your processor would as well because it wouldn't be utilizing that whole 333MHz FSB. If you want a performance gain, add a 512 stick of PC2700. But do not expect an increase at all if you insert that stick of PC2100, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a major decrease.

Yeah, those were my thoughts beedubaya. My opinion is I should stick with the DDR333 PC2700 (512MB), but I just wanted to get other views on the matter.

TMT. :cool:

Stick with what you got, because adding even a 128mb stick of the same speed RAM would barely increase performance, so adding the DDR266 will definatlyslow you down:confused:

yea but all of us are practically same to test it out. if it was ddr400 versus ddr266 then i wouldn't have said don't bother with it.

"Speeddeamon..."

Oh. I heard of this before... Somone once told me that if you do that, you'd need to have a larger cache. (At least 1mb.) I didn't understand what he ment until now...:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom