Monitor Troubles, RMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK*

Solid State Member
Purchased a Viewsonic P95F+B from Newegg and last night I went through hell trying to figure out what was going wrong with it.

This monitor is the left of 2 CRTs in my new dual setup, the right monitor being my old Dell Trinitron... both are 19 inchers. I purchased a DVI -> VGA adaptor for the 2nd older monitor and the new Viewsonic is going straight into the VGA port on my GF4 TI4600. Everything is configured properly and they are working, but not without problems.

The new (left #1) has a very noticeable color problem on the top left corner that looks like a magnetic issue but I can't figure out why it behaves the way it does. When I turn off or remove the other monitor, it stays. When I take everything away from the monitor it's still there, but when I turn the monitor to face another direction, the problem seems to go away but a new problem pops up on the top right corner, this time instead of dulling it turns purple. I have spent the entire night rearranging everything around the desk and it's driving me crazy. Something else I noticed was that from the exact point where the distorted color on the top left ends, there are a few white discolored vertical lines going from the very top of the monitor to the bottom. Everything to the right of that line is fine, the left is always inconsistant depending on which direction the monitor is facing. The lines are very noticeable and I've tried all the normal troubleshooting procedures such as degausing and returning it to defaults, to shutting it off for a 1/2 hour. I tried hooking the monitor up to a few other computers and the problems still occurred. I swapped the monitors left-right and no love.

It seems magnetic but is it possible that something could be broken that would make it extra sensitive. Either way, no matter which direction, there's a problem.

Please help out, Any suggestions before I RMA?

Shake it - does it rattle?

But if its become extra sensitive to magnetic fields you should send it back.

Shaking this beast isn't too easy, but no it doesn't rattle.

2 CRT's should never interfere with eachother am I correct? Don't know if anyone is familiar with this monitor but the ultrabrite button is the only way this monitor looks good, the normal mode is dark and looks like crap. People seem to love it according to reviews.

Any other suggestions anyone, thanks for the reply jono.

Well, since both monitors generate an electromagnetic field, its possible that your older monitor doesnt have the shielding that the new one does. Have you tried just moving them apart?

If one is off, does the problem still occur?

If so, you could go out and buy a 1 inch thick plate of lead and put it inbetween the two displays. lol

Moving them apart doesn't help the situation. They are both aperture grill monitors, the old being all of 5 years old. I've looked around and have yet to see anyone having problems running dual CRTs.

Are there any other sources of EMF around the monitors? Also, check to ensure that no power cables are located on or near the KVM or display cables. Enough EMF will interfere with display signals regardless of the amount of shielding on the cables.

Its the new monitor causing trouble isn't it?

That being the case I would have assumed that the new one was sheilded well enough so that neither monitor would be a problem. If its got one of those wierd discolouration spots on it there has to be a problem with either the shielding on the new monitor or with the ray tube itself. Given that the spot moves it seems a little oddto assume that its a problem with the ray tube.

The reason i suggested shacking it was simply to see if there was a loose object causing trouble. But in my experience monitors either work ordon't work properly for their entire lifespan. If I were you I would send it back.

With regards to the cabling idea i don't think that it could be that. Purley because the cable for the monitor is sheilded and multicored and the power cable is twisted core. It would need a substantial energy supply to interfer and then it would do it to the entire screen rather than just a shifting segment. But try swapping the cables if you can see what you get. Just incase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom